Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Splitting a OpenBOM on a drawing?

Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
Is there a way to split up a parts list from OpenBOM?  I've run out of vertical page......

Comments

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Hi Tony, I have run into the same problem. In my case I went to a bigger page size, I also broke my product up into smaller assemblies, which actually suited manufacturing better in this case but there needs to be a way to split the tables. I am sure I'll run into this problem again soon.

I believe it will be on the Onshape side not from OpenBoM, with Onshape able to add better table operations.  There are still a lot of improvements that need to be made to control tables, ie. splitting, auto docking, better formatting (I'd like to align centre my qty's numbers), linking balloons, to name a few. I'd also like to see a way of viewing the thumbnail of the part or assembly when hovering over row and seeing which balloons are linked to the model. 

Hopefully, we will see some improvements soon.  @PeteYodis I am sure you know what we are after.

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • oleg_shilovitskyoleg_shilovitsky Member, Developers Posts: 131 PRO
    @Tony_C_

Hi Tony, we are aware about the problem and discussing with Onshape how it can be solved. openBoM has a property "Page Number" in a BOM. Would it be helpful to use the property in order to define "splits"? There are probably other ways to do so. 

@brucebartlett
    You method will work meantime, especially for single level BOM.  The only limitation will be if you need to create Part list for top level assembly. Then you won't be able to split into sub modules with out affecting total quantity calcs. 
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 519
    I think we know the issues and improvements @brucebartlett.  As you mention there are a number of improvements to make.  Split BOM is certainly one that is needed.  I'd welcome anyone else here to chime in with their needs on BOM's as well.  We are all ears and want to make sure we've covered your needs in our planning.  
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I can say about GOST standart - BOM by GOST  requares ability to group content by several categories (based on property set to the part), place BOM on the separate sheets, other then the drawing sheet, ablity to set row hight and column width, and number of raws on the sheet
  • oleg_shilovitskyoleg_shilovitsky Member, Developers Posts: 131 PRO
    I can say about GOST standart - BOM by GOST  requares ability to group content by several categories (based on property set to the part), place BOM on the separate sheets, other then the drawing sheet, ablity to set row hight and column width, and number of raws on the sheet
    You can group content by sorting using one of the properties in openBOM.