Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Will Gear Relations work on miter and bevel gears

david_sohlstromdavid_sohlstrom Member, Mentor Posts: 159 ✭✭✭
I have an assembly that will have several miter and bevel gears can I use Gear Relations on these gears so I get the part rotation I need.

Dave
David Sohlstrom

Ariel, WA

Best Answer

Answers

• jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    If you set up the revolutes correctly, yes they will work.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • david_sohlstromdavid_sohlstrom Member, Mentor Posts: 159 ✭✭✭
    I saw revolutes in the drop down  but I'm not sure what that is.

Dave
    David Sohlstrom

Ariel, WA
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited March 2015
    @David_Sohlstrom12345 check this part out. It has 2 revlote mates to position the sprockets and a gear mate to link at the correct ratio. I have not worked how to model the chain yet.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/46b17dd88ed24f55bca2eb69/w/81cd48206e74495eb7d7dee1/e/76a995401969499bb4ca52df
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    Making chain will be fun.

Dave
    David Sohlstrom

Ariel, WA
  • Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    edited March 2015
    @BruceBartlettwould a slider mate on the chain elements and a rack and pinion mate to one of the links work? Well at least a partial rotation may be possible this way

Here is a experiment I dinged out. It should work for a partial rotation. 
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ebc649b6ae564e4ea7a04da7/w/11725af34d624fc29c56faa7/e/8b01e07502c74ea38472eae8

The big thing here is figuring out how to not get into mating hell by making a chain and joining all the links. It would be nice to be able to pattern not only the part but the mates of a part in a chain and link array.

Sad thing is that I likely will go and make a chain to work with this to show it can be done. UGH! A curious mind can be a massive OCD time suck some times :)@BruceBartlett what size of chain will work with your sprockets? 4L, 5R, 6N, 7N?? At least I am sure I could find the models for the links :)
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited March 2015
    @Ben I will share you in and you can go for life.
    It 1/2" chain, I attach the spec sheet in the doc.

also a good branching, test
    @BruceBartlett  and @Ben  When You crack the chain problem move on to timing belts. I'm thinking a lot of people would like to know how that could be done.

Dave
    David Sohlstrom

Ariel, WA
  • john_f_carrjohn_f_carr Onshape Employees Posts: 74
    There is a video introduction to gear mates: https://www.onshape.com/videos/whats-new-gear-mates.
    Well I watched the video a couple of times and that helped. I did a test assemble and got things rotating. The only problem I am seeing is that the gears do not mesh correctly. They are tooth to tooth and not tooth to valley. Any ideas.

Dave
    David Sohlstrom

Ariel, WA
    The mate starts with the mate connector triad. If you create a new mate connector but rotate it on the z axis the right amount the gear then meshes. Clear as mud?
    @Ben  That worked thanks

Dave
    David Sohlstrom

Ariel, WA
    @BruceBartlett I see you have some chain added to your "Drive line components" project. Did you get the chain to flex

Dave
    David Sohlstrom

Ariel, WA
    I know it will work it is just a 'make time to model it' situation
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a mechanical engineer, I love electro-mechanical devices like variacs, partly because I can fix them when they break. They wear their heart on their sleeve in the way they "show their working".

(In theory, I should love relays and solenoids too, but in practice they often seem to let me down, so I've learned to avoid them when I can). 

So one thing I've always wanted to try is to wire up two stepping motors in parallel as peer devices, with no external electrical power source, say for manual remote actuation of a (low torque) rotating device, or for remote indication of the attitude of that device, or both.

I mention it here because it's the purest analog I can think of to a "Gear relation".
    The hard part is going to be getting the electrons to flow through you CAD wires from one stepper to the other and stay in phase.  :):)

Dave
    David Sohlstrom

Ariel, WA
    edited April 2015
    I've given up on a flexible chain @David_Sohlstrom, I will see how @Ben goes. However I have just included a screw feature using the new mate's (Screw Relation). Also Found that ref. dimensions (change to driving dimension) have been added, I think I am more excited about the ref. dimensions than the screw mate. I also used the new offset on the fasten mate to get the bolt head in the right spot against the sprocket face. 

Public doc https://cad.onshape.com/documents/46b17dd88ed24f55bca2eb69/w/81cd48206e74495eb7d7dee1/e/76a995401969499bb4ca52df