Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do you find the center of gravity?

kai_etringerkai_etringer Member Posts: 10
and before you say the scales in an assembly, that shows the center of mass.

Best Answers

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited July 2017 Answer ✓
    In CAD space you would generally assume these to be the same, which they are if gravity is constant across the rigid body. If the object was large enough and rigid enough to have varying gravity, center of gravity would differ to center of mass. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   

Answers

• Options

the center of gravity, as I understand it, is the point in an object where if you had a magical string attached to it passing in the opposite direction of gravity (up), and nothing else but the four fundamental forces (gravity including) it would not move at all. 

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/50107/what-is-the-difference-between-center-of-mass-and-center-of-gravity

quoting my favorite answer: Center of gravity is the point in a body around which the resultant torque due to gravity forces vanish.

That means that for any rigid body, the two points are the same, because you can model rigid bodies in free fall as if gravity acted only on the center of mass, and forces on the center of mass make no torque.

Sorry if I explained it badly, I am not good at it. I often go to science (even though I'm not even close to an expert, not having graduated highschool yet)

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited July 2017 Answer ✓
    In CAD space you would generally assume these to be the same, which they are if gravity is constant across the rigid body. If the object was large enough and rigid enough to have varying gravity, center of gravity would differ to center of mass. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    so for an ultralight aircraft, It would be, essentially, the same?