Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Inserting multiple assembly positions into a drawing.

aubrey_cousinaubrey_cousin Member Posts: 15 PRO
Is there a way to do this or can this be added?

Best Answers

• aubrey_cousinaubrey_cousin Member Posts: 15 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Thank you all I'll just do what I thought I might have to do. Haha.

@philip_thomas - Yes, I was looking for Alternate Position Views. Stacking the views with hidden lines or just placing the views side by side to show open and closed position dimensions. Either would work honestly however it seems we are waiting for this ability. Thanks.

Answers

• aubrey_cousinaubrey_cousin Member Posts: 15 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Thank you all I'll just do what I thought I might have to do. Haha.

@philip_thomas - Yes, I was looking for Alternate Position Views. Stacking the views with hidden lines or just placing the views side by side to show open and closed position dimensions. Either would work honestly however it seems we are waiting for this ability. Thanks.
  • matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 475 PRO
    I successfully approached this task, of inserting multiple assembly positions into a drawing, by creating assembly configurations rather than branches

However, what I would really like to do is overlay the two resulting drawing views to illustrate the range of motion of an assembly (similar to what is shown in the attached 5093A750 drawing from McMaster Carr).  Does anyone have suggestions as to how I might:
    1. align those two views (to perfectly overlap) and
    2. display the second view with dashed lines (or somehow represent it as a 'phantom')?
    Thanks.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    unfortunately, there is no good solution.

What I have done in the past is have one shaded view and one not shaded view, then overlap them "eyeball"

You could also export one position to dwg, then insert that into a part studio. Then insert sketch into the drawing. That way you can set the lines to a different color, or make them construction lines.

Like I said, no GOOD way... but it should get you by for now.