Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Save As new file name

ptscad_ptscadptscad_ptscad Member Posts: 5 PRO
Hi 

I need to create new part by modifying current part. I still need to keep the old part. How can I save as new part name for the part that I have already modified.

Thanks

Comments

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    So much ambiguity in the question.
    You can make a copy of a document at any time.
    If you want to have a base part and then perform modifications to create a new part but have the two associative, use Derive.
    If your question was how to revert to an earlier state, then you can use the Version Manager to restore to a previous point in time and do whatever you want (eg export) and restore to the original state (just prior to the first restore). You could also use the Version Manager to create a branch at any point.
    I do not know exactly what you're trying to do so these answers may not describe exactly the steps you need.
    All of these techniques are covered in the Boot Camp training you were offered for free as a Pro user - just re watch the video of your training sessions (these are in Day 1 and Day 2). 

I hope this helps you.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    you can also use transform->copy and do it that way

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    You can also RMB on a tab to copy/duplicat a complete part studio at the tab level
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • ptscad_ptscadptscad_ptscad Member Posts: 5 PRO
    I am not aware that I can a boot camp. May I know how can attend Boot camp?
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Feels awesome doesn't it? Have a few "up's" on me.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    And me
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • clement_dos_santosclement_dos_santos Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    The title is explicit for a computer user : Save as new file.
    Translate to OnShape is : Save as a new workspace.
    So click on the hamburger (document menu) and "copy workspace"
  • StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    Before answering the user's question the question that needs to be asked is, what relationship will there be (if any) between the new part and current part?

Depending how that question is answered will define how best to answer the question.