Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

A "New" extrusion on part won't update in my assembly??

cg1234cg1234 Member Posts: 3
Hi, I'm confused to why A "New" extrusion on my part won't update in my assembly?? I've been trying for 

if I click the "add" button then I'll see it in my assembly. I want it to be a "new" extrusion because it changes the colour of the extrusion. this is what I want. 

Any help would be appreceated :)

Comments

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @cg1234 - We would love to help. Unfortunately, its very hard from your description to know what's going on.
    The best way to get help on the forum is to post a link your document (as a free user, your documents are public, but we don't know which one you are talking about). At that point, 5 people will fall over themselves to fix it for you (or tell you whats going on).
    Looking forward to helping you :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • cg1234cg1234 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Philip, 

ok great, I'm relitivly new to Onshape so I'll try to figure out how to link the drawing. I've used Solidworks before for many years. 

sorry I was speed typing when I wrote the comment. :)

In my drawing I have a few parts and an assembly. I edited one of those parts. I added an extrusion. the extrusion section seems to have different options. New, Add, Remove and Intersect. if I choose "add", it adds it to the part, so when I go to my assembly, I can see the extrusion I added. and its the same colour as the part i extruded it from. 

The problem I am having is when I choose the "New" option in the extrude section. if I do it this way I cannot see the extrusion once I go back to the assembly. I can only see it when I go back to the part.

This should be the link to my drawing. 
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ff8039784dc3dce584ea3b8b/w/087a6848f9fc44fde98ec894/e/d4c560fefce163c3eaf48e58

- Part I am having an issue with is "Property limits" theres a grey "walk way" around the property. 
    - I would like it to show up in "Assembly 1"

Hope this is a little more clear. :)

Thanks

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @cg1234 - Thank you for sharing - and NOT BAD! :)

That said, let me see if i can help you.

While it is not definitively apparent from your document what your problem is, i think i can hazard a guess.
    In Onshape, a Part Studio is for making parts. Most of the time, there is only one part per Part Studio. The only reason to create a second (or third) part in a Part Studio, is if those two parts are geometrically related (this is akin to an icontext feature in a SolidWorks assembly). There is nothing 'wrong' with building more than 1 part in a Part Studio if they are not related, its just not as efficient (performance)as building them in separate Part Studios.
    Next - if i insert the contents of Part Studio into an assembly, i am not inserting a 'sub assembly', i am literally inserting whatever was in the Part Studio at that time. It is a common misconception that if i later add another part to the Part Studio that it will appear in the assembly (it will not). If you create a new part in an existing Part Studio, it is no different than creating it in a new one - that part must be added to whichever assembly it goes in. Does that answer your question?
    Also - i note that you have a lot of planar mates. Onshape mating is VERY different to SolidWorks mating.
    • Generally there is no need to use more than ONE mate between any two parts and any sub-assembly.
    • As soon as you try to add a second mate - stop! There is probably a better way.
    • Any two parts that do not move relative to one another will have a single 'fasten' mate.
    • If multiple parts come from a single Part Studio and all are in the correct spatial relationships, then ALL of the parts are located with a single 'group' mate.
    • In general your assemblies with have a fraction of the mates it would have taken in SolidWorks

check out the number of mates in this assembly.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/06ba4d5e7818cfd088e3fdcf/w/612e42a22aaf5e2b8906c30a/e/874780541e8b5bf95a3cfa26

One per sub assembly and 8 at the top level - and that's for full motion!

I hope this helps.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • cg1234cg1234 Member Posts: 3
    Thats very impressive! so different compared to SW, I'm still trying to play around with the mates in Onshape to understand them better. every time I try mating something I have a hard time, thats why I use the planar mate. I'll watch the tutorial again and keep trying. 

As for my drawing, I drew my "walk way" in the assembly 1 using edit in context. this way I had all the references I needed. If I had to open a new Part Studio and draw my walk way I would have had no references to draw it.

is there a way to save the walk way I drew to a new part studio so that I can insert it into my assembly 1? 

I'll try to stop here and figure out the rest, I know you guys are super busy! 

How come when I try to insert a new part I cannot see my walk way? 

Ok - incontext is a whole new topic. It does work - there are many videos and webinars on the website that go into great detail.
    Please ask any question and i will look again in the morning.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape