Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to print a sketch with dimensions on it?

martin_olesenmartin_olesen Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
Hello, i have tried to print out one of the sketc from one of my projects, but i find it very difficult.
I did find a way where i right click on the sketch plane, and then choose print, it work, i do get a sketch with the dimensions on it, but the font of the dimension numbers are extremely small.....do i do this wrong, is there another way to print out sketches with all the dimensions from Onshape?

Answers

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @martin_olesen If you right click on a sketch (when not editing) and select Show dimensions, you can then print it using the print and it should show the dimensions.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    lougallo said:
    @martin_olesen If you right click on a sketch (when not editing) and select Show dimensions, you can then print it using the print and it should show the dimensions.
    @lougallo that works "okay" but not great. I have found that the dimensions are very tiny to the point of being practically useless. Could Onshape fix the print function so dimensions are not hit with a shrink ray first?
  • martin_olesenmartin_olesen Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    As Brian_brady says, the problem is that the numbers in the dimension are very small, it would be great if Onshape could make a better Print function.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,305
    OK, there is clearly an issue there, but the issue is it was probably never meant for that purpose and therefore never tested. Please open a support ticket. In the meantime please use a screen grab tool (like snip tool on windows or whatever it's called).
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • martin_olesenmartin_olesen Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    Hello, does anybody knows if this issue with printing out sketches, i still find it difficult, and the fonts are still crazy small.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited November 2017
    Use something like Lightshot which is tool for taking screenshots but allows also direct printing. Very handy tool to share things on screen.

You can also show dimensions with double-click on any sketch geometry in model area.

And to answer your question, yes it is still an issue - dimensions appear very small in print.
    //rami
  • mario_darceuilmario_darceuil Member Posts: 108 ✭✭
    This is not good because dimensions are an integral part of any drawing program. How can one communicate with the sketches if they are not visible?
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited April 2019
    This is not good because dimensions are an integral part of any drawing program. How can one communicate with the sketches if they are not visible?
    Right click a sketch in the tree and select create drawing of ..
    Or Export as DXF/DWG

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @mario_darceuil
    When crawling through Onshape forums, always look at the date stamp on last post and then goto 'New in Onshape' and look if there has been update to certain matter. Onshape gets better every three weeks.

For example here, my last post from Nov 2017; there has been more than 20 updates since. Some of these have decreased the need to print sketches by improving drawings and that's why this thread has disappeared in history..    
    //rami
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    lougallo said:
    @lougallo that works "okay" but not great. I have found that the dimensions are very tiny to the point of being practically useless. Could Onshape fix the print function so dimensions are not hit with a shrink ray first?
    @brian_brady
    @mario_darceuil
    @3dcad
    @martin_olesen

Their print function seems to be rendering a high-resolution view, scaling all the line-thicknesses down and also the dimension text.
    If you print using a small page size such as A6, it won't be as high resolution and you can scale it up again in the browser's print dialog
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100