Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Slugishness, on phone but also on laptop with chrome

anthony_douglasanthony_douglas Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited September 2017 in Community Support
The app on my phone has gotten unuseably slow, it takes a good three seconds after I tap the sketch icon before it gives the popup for the sketch.   Other commands take similar amounts of time.  Eventually, things like dragging of sketches doesn't actually function at all, basically, when things are too slow. The thing is I actually just reset my phone to factory settings a few days ago.  I have also tried a task killer, and killed everything else possible..... 

I noticed it is a bit slow on my laptop, too, but not nearly as bad.  Might be my network connection is part of it, but it can't be more than 20% of the story, I think.

One of my perpetual challenges in this kind of context is the opacity of the computer system, it being nearly impossible to determine what it is doing all that time, where the time is wasted or the bottleneck exists...  anyway, is there any way to solve this??

I had stopped using Onshape about a year ago, mostly, because it was a bit slow even on my laptop.  But I was hoping it would improve, but it seems to have gotten worse.

The phone is an lg g5 h831, the laptop is an asus ux305f, which is the yesteryear's version of the fastest fanless ultrabook, which is still quite slow, but faster than a chromebook by a ways.

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,399
    edited September 2017
    Hi @anthony_douglas

Sorry to hear you are having performance issues. 

I looked at a review for your laptop and they were very clear that it is suitable for Word and email but not graphics. While Onshape will run on practically anything, the important word there is "practically" so you have to be realistic about the expectations of running 3D CAD compared to Microsoft Word. The browser also has a lot of work to do so to get workstation like performance you will need enough RAM and GPU power depending on the size of the models you are creating. You may get better performance if you use Firefox as Chrome uses a lot of memory. 

As for the phone, that is a different matter. Sounds as if you're running it on 3G? With every action there is communication with the server so you need a reasonably good connection. 

Overall performance of the Onshape system has improved significantly in the last year. Do you have access to any other hardware that you can use? 

A good way to test your laptop is to go to https://cad.onshape.com/check then compare your results to those here (although these guys are looking for the best system): https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/5225/performance-test-results#latest
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    anthony_douglasanthony_douglas Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    But I seem to remember it was much more useable on my phone than this.  Three seconds to start a sketch? There must be something wrong.  If only there was some way to monitor the inner working.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,399
    just checking - have you updated the Onshape app to the latest version?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI