Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Clean Common Parts with export to parasolid then import back again - Worth it?

owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
edited September 2017 in Using Onshape
Hi folks.

Toying with the idea of exporting my "set in stone" revisions of library parts to parasolid then back into OS again to create clean and faster loading files.  Especially where I've not modeled them sensibly, say with a chain of derives or direct edit.

Cons:- Loss of history, but if edits are required the source partstudio still exists.

Any thoughts on whether it's worth it?

Cheers, Owen S.
Business Systems and Configuration Controller
HWM-Water Ltd

Best Answer

Answers

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Thanks @brucebartlett seems to jive with the theory.

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • robert_morrisrobert_morris OS Professional, Developers Posts: 166 PRO
    What about just moving the finished parts into a separate document and then using a link from your assembly to that document?

I thought I read in some other post that when you link to a versioned part in another document that Onshape caches the geometry of the part, which should be similar in speed to an imported dumb solid. Plus, if you just use a link, you retain the ability to edit the part features more easily.
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think OS only consumes additional resourses to rebuild geometry when the features are edited, in all other cases there should be no much difference.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Thanks chaps.

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd