Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Reality Server 3D Rendering

Anyone else working with Reality Server for 3D Rendering? 

Its driving me a bit crazy. The feed is slow, 1Mb is as good as it get and I wait a long time for stuff to load. 
Suppressed components are not hidden and must actually be deleted for it to not show up with you load an assembly in RealityServer - This almost makes it un usable.

There are other issue if it freezing up where it just stop responding but, I think it has some great future here and is easy to use.  Just keep saving your work. 

Anyone else frustrated with suppressed parts showing up and have any tips on removing them?

Comments

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @paul_arden is the developer he should be able to help. 

Maybe you could branch and delete your unwanted parts on the branch and render here also.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Paul_ArdenPaul_Arden Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 163
    So, for assemblies I think we could add this fairly easily, however for Part Studios I don't see a way to do it since the Onshape API does not tell us if something is suppressed or not. I will check with the API team though just in case.

Just to note there is a 'Scene Graph' button which does allow you to hide and show parts without deleting them. It's still tedious if you have gone to the trouble to hide them in your Part Studio I would agree but it is easier than deleting items.
  • AuroraRonAuroraRon Member Posts: 120 PRO
    Thank you Paul !

I missed the Scene Graph part.  That really helps!!!
    I had components behind a glass / window and could not figure out how to access it.   

Even though I've been frustrated at times, I'm really loving RealityServer.  You've done an amazing job.  
    It is a very simple app to use and very powerful part of Onshape and the whole online CAD.   

On the wish list of features, having images on transparent backgrounds would help so we can put the renders into scenes.   
    Animated Gifs with the renders rotating would also be really helpful.   

Thanks again,  If anyone is not using this yet, I think you are really missing out.  It really great to be able to bring creations to life.  

@AuroraRon we have added support for visibility matching in Part Studios and Assemblies now so if you have parts hidden they will be hidden by default in RealityServer. We still export them, so you can turn them back on in the scene graph mentioned earlier if you need it.

For transparency, this is on our task list, just a matter of adding PNG output support. Rotatings GIFs isn't something we are likely to add in the near term but there isn't a technical reason it can't be done.

Thanks for the feedback and hopefully the visibility support is helpful for you.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Thanks @paul_arden that makes sense to have the scene come into reality server is with the hidden state from the Onshape PS or  Assy.

On my list of requests from last time I used it, these may or may not be already available but thought worth mentioning. * Undo, *Copy Material and *save to PNG so you can have a transparent background. 

Keep up the good work, its a great app with loads of potential. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited October 2017
    @paul_arden
    Do you have any tutorial on how to make custom material from image and fine tune to correspond with real world?

I'm long time Keyshot user but looking for either web version of Keyshot or alternative with same simplicity and power.

I only tried RealityServer quickly when it was added to Onshape apps, but didn't spend enough time to get impressed. Same happened with Onerender. Few stunning tutorial videos might help with getting started without getting frustrated =)
    //rami
    We have a tutorial on YouTube but it does not cover that topic since currently there isn't a way to upload textures to use in RealityServer so it would be of limited value until we have that. Allegorithmic have a fantastic tutorial on making real-world materials with a mobile phone here:

https://www.allegorithmic.com/blog/your-smartphone-material-scanner

However this uses their software (which does support the MDL material system we use). When we later add features to allow users to upload their own textures and MDL content this will be a useful method (even before then you might find the article interesting).

Unfortunately there isn't a single click way yet that anyone has to just magically make a material since you need to deal with making it seamless, removing lighting and so on. Allegorithmic have a very good system for that and the mobile Adobe Capture App is said to be adding a feature for automated capture like this some time this year so watch out for that to.

We are working on a much more sophisticated material editing system at the moment but I am afraid until then texturing custom materials is not possible. The large pre-defined library is the interim solution however we of course understand that can't cover every need.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @paul_arden
    Thanks for the info, I will check the link.

I have got decent results with A3 piece of furniture panel, office scanner, photoshop and keyshot. For me it would be usefull service if I could send piece of material somewhere, pay decent sum and get perfect result into my material library.
    //rami
    Oh, there are definitely quite a few places cropping up now that do material scanning. Some very reasonably priced and others focusing on higher accuracy and being able to state correctness. Here are two that have very affordable services for scanning (they also sell the hardware if you are doing to scan so many that a service doesn't make sense):

http://www.vizoo3d.com/
    https://www.muravision.com/

X-rite also have the TAC7 but the scanning aperture is fairly small compared to the above devices. I believe they offer services for scanning though and the accuracy of this device is likely more quantifiable however I have not personally evaluated it.
  • AuroraRonAuroraRon Member Posts: 120 PRO
    Just add 20 hours and within 30 seconds it changed to 16 hours.   Clock is not working right.  Sessions that freeze up perhaps keep the clock running. Either way, within adding 20 hours it says 16 is an issue Paul.    
    @AuroraRon we have credited your account with the missing time (and some extra) and are investigating the cause. I have emailed you directly to ask for a bit of extra information.
    Just to clarify as well, one situation in which the time could jump down after purchase is if the server was on and running and then was stopped after the purchase since the time for the active session is only deducted from the usage after the session ends and we can calculate the duration.
  • Matthew_DeasyMatthew_Deasy Member Posts: 1
    Hi Paul,

I cnt get renders above 500K out can you help? All settings seem to give similar outputs?