Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Revolute Joint Constraints Affecting Multiple Components

rex_hansonrex_hanson Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
I am trying to model a duct network for a dust collection system. I've created models of a Wye joint and have placed it in the assembly in a couple of different locations using a revolute constraint. When I try to spin the connection at the second joint, it causes the connection at the first instance of the component to also spin.

How can I prevent this from happening?
Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• mthiesmeyermthiesmeyer Onshape Employees Posts: 115
    Hi Rex,

Could you post a link to your doc here? It is hard to debug something like this without seeing how you have mated your parts.

Best,

Mike
  • rex_hansonrex_hanson Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Here is the link:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5800daf91fc15da7b6a0a37d/w/b10fb2b6bc7a166ba9d6d17d/e/ecd06abc6ef94c0d9f142722

If you select the last component in the model tree (Wye 6-45 <20>, then drag the rotation handle that is sticking up in the air then you will see the other pipes moving around because it appears to be impacting the other instance of the Wye 6-45 constraint.
    I wasn't aware I could specify an angle with the fasten connector. I thought my only choices were to play with it until it selected the right mate connector orientation, and then I could apply an offset. Can I specify a rotation angle for the revolute joint connector? Thank you!
  • Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    Best thing to do it put a mate on there and get it about where you want it then click on it and it will show you the degree it currently positioned.  Then you can edit the mate knowing about where you want it to be.  

• Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    Also, I think a few of those could be fasten mates or sliders.
    Thanks! I need to learn how to use the in-context capabilities.