Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Model Multi-Material parts for 3D Printers

john_kuyperjohn_kuyper Member Posts: 29 EDU
I was just participating in a Webinar about 3D printers.  There is research towards printing parts with varying material properties.  For example, you can 3D print a shoe sole.  The bottom of the shoe would be a tough, hard material.  The top would be a soft material that is comfortable to walk on.  This part could be 3D printed (instead of bonding layers).

In the Webinar, they mentioned that although 3D printers are capable of printing such parts, there is no CAD system that can design it.  Maybe Onshape could address this issue?

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    I would suggest doing something like an over mold and split the part and set the material that way.. As far as it going to the printer, that would be something you can then set there.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited March 2017
    Interesting idea, part material: 70% rubber, 26% PLA, 4% carbon fiber and Onshape would calculate strenght, elastics and other properties - test environment let's us stress part using different forces per area / direction and see resulted realtime changes on model.

Printer mixes materials as requested and creates whole shoe at single run.

I might give it a try if such option was available ;)
    //rami
  • Options
    andreas_lechthalerandreas_lechthaler Member Posts: 6 PRO
    I thought about something similar concerning preprocessing and exporting mesh-data for professional visualization.
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It hasn't arrived yet, but I have a multi-material desktop 3D printer on order. I imagine it's just a matter of aligning geometry from separate STL files to the same shared coordinate system prior to slicing. This should happen automatically if the STL files are generated from parts in the same part studio or assembly. @lougallo, is that the case?