Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do I transfer ownership of files to be owned by me instead of being owned by the company?

alex_22alex_22 OS Professional Posts: 3
I used to have the option of having the ownership to me. Now I cant find how to continue doing that

Answers

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Alex - hello and thank you for your question.

The thinking behind the way it works goes something like this - 

If you are a member of a company, then presumably they are paying for the account(s) for you to do work for them. Based on that, they would be the owners of all documents created.
    For documents to be owned by an individual, they would either have their own Pro account or their own free account.

If i am missing a nuance of your question, my apologies and i hope this helps.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited November 2017
    Yeah, I take issue with this change too.

The training still states it's possible:-
    https://learn.onshape.com/learn/course/fundamentals-navigating-onshape/creating-an-onshape-document/creating-a-document

(1) I'm on the patent / employee suggestion scheme committees at work and actively encourage folks to work on their own projects (in their own time or lunch-breaks).

Should the company then buy this idea then ownership can be easily transferred, if not it's their work and we get more proficient CAD folks so win/win.

(2) I'll also have some of my own stuff that isn't relevant to work.  Not sure how an AR15 adapter for my VR setup would be perceived by my colleagues but I'm going to draw one up and use the 3D printers with some of my own filament to make it...

I felt it was a bit "off" to change this behavior without consultation at least.

Regards,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @owen_sparks.

Please accept our apologies - there were very few company members (pro users) that were creating documents owned by them (i fully appreciate the specific scenario you describe) AND there were significant potential problems with IP when a user left a company. Specifically, requests we were getting from admins to transfer the ownership of all non-company documents owned by the user to the company AND requests from the user to transfer all documents owned by them to a new account. Clearly we couldn't do both. In the end, we erred on the side of the person paying for the account as being the owner of the documents.

We are always open to better ways of doing things and new business models. While i am not in a position to say "we will do this", it might not be unreasonable to see if your sales rep will make you a sweet offer on an additional pro account just for you! :) 
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    At the moment I don't have problems with company owning everything but what I would avoid is having two accounts just for myself. Always login / logout bouncing between the two, can't use clipboard to copy if you accidentally use wrong account.. It's like having multiple email accounts on single client, kinda good idea but causes a lot of pain..

As a payer, I would assume to have access to everything created with 'my money' but I would suggest to create separate folder so personal stuff stays out of way. In fact, this should be some sort of built-in function.
    For example: We have this team McOnshapers and if someone shares something with the team and often edits it - it's stuck on top of my 'MyOnshape' docs and there's nothing I can do since my most used docs live in folders.

It would be nice to be able to have only one account and use it for work and personal stuff without interfering the two.. Especially if you're the admin.

//rami
    Rami - I hear you and your suggestion of using folders is probably the best solution currently :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I have an extra account that I have been sharing with a contractor, by adding their existing account, I just added their email to my pro account which shared my company documents and lifted them to pro so they could do my work privately. I was under the impression that documents that they privately held on these accounts would be still theirs, this was very easy for me to manage rather than creating new accounts with email and sharing that with the contractor. I also did not have an issue if they created private doc's for themselves while on my pro account,  I may have wrongly assumed these would be theirs, they just have to be aware that these will revert to view only if I removed them from my company sub.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi @philip_thomas and thanks for your reply.
    Specifically, requests we were getting from admins to transfer the ownership of all non-company documents owned by the user to the company AND requests from the user to transfer all documents owned by them to a new account. Clearly we couldn't do both...
    You make a good point, I'd not considered that.
    In the end, we erred on the side of the person paying for the account as being the owner of the documents.
    That's fair enough.  In our company we handle such situations with a service alert / bulletin if the functionality of our products must change in a way that may impact on the end user.  As the saying goes you want to be Tylenol not Toyota!
    We are always open to better ways of doing things and new business models. While i am not in a position to say "we will do this", it might not be unreasonable to see if your sales rep will make you a sweet offer on an additional pro account just for you! :) 
    Hmm.  Talk to a sales-person?  ON PURPOSE? Are you insane? 
    Kidding-ish.  That might be a plan :)

Thanks for your time,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd