Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Is there a reason I can't share Sub-Folders?

Stefan_DMSStefan_DMS Member Posts: 48 PRO
I can't seem to be able to share a sub-folder, a folder inside a top layer folder.
Is there a reason for this?

Best Answer

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited November 2017 Answer ✓
    https://youtu.be/Gr0cEy21qwI?t=4m47s

Looks like you need to share the parent, see video ref above

at 6:20 he says sub folders do not have independent share permision
  • SledDriverSledDriver Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    Top level only shares seems too limiting. Hopefully this will expand to subfolders in time.
  • kevin_guokevin_guo Onshape Employees Posts: 18
    @john_mcclary, thanks for answering the question.
    @SledDriver, the limitation of sub-folder sharing is to 'reduce' the complexity of the permissions and ownerships across hierarchy of files, but if you feel you need the functionality to be expanded based on your workflow, please do open an enhancement request . We are always listening. 
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Let's have a mind play with it:
    Top folder shared to A (which is true also for any subfolders & docs)
    One of 2nd level sub folder is shared to B and another shared to C so docs would be shared to A+B and A+C in addition to shares made for each doc.
    3rd level subfolder shared to D, E, F
    4th level G, H I

And then you move some folder from place to another.. It can get messy, pretty much depending on how the folders are used. If thay are named after clients it probably works just fine but if the are related to product categories then it can be difficult to keep up with all the shares.

I would still prefer allowing share for subfolders since we are intelligent people who (think) we can handle it =)

Loosely related to this, I would like to have separate 'my shares' view where I could see and edit any current shares. I tend to forgot links alive and shares that should have been removed after project finished..

//rami
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Nice explanation  :smile:
    Personally I think it would be simpler to have shared tags.  Easier visibility and does not rely on the document "living" in a particular folder.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • SledDriverSledDriver Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    My point is that many people are quite used to nested folder sharing within their operating system shares.

Only being able to share a top level folder means I cannot have one master folder for all project documents unless I am happy to share the entire project with everyone in the project, and there are many circumstances where that may be unsuitable.

Additionally I may want read only folders where I can protect stuff which is still available as a resource.

As it is now, I have to have totally separate and possibly multiple OS filing locations for chunks of work for the exact same project just to control share permissions. This seems unwieldy at best.
  • Stefan_DMSStefan_DMS Member Posts: 48 PRO
    I really like the idea of having a place to view all the shares out from my account. also useful documents shared with onshape support too.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I made improvement request for 'my shares', vote if you like.

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9036/my-shares-view-for-better-control-on-current-shares/
    //rami