Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - December 4th, 2017

NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
Christmas comes early with the last update to Onshape for 2017! Let's get the party started with one VERY popular improvement request that will get you in the holiday mood... 

CUSTOM MATERIAL LIBRARIES

In addition to the standard material library provided by Onshape, you can now create your own custom material libraries and share them with your colleagues.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/41mwqzvojm?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

CREATE EDGE SELECTION

The Create Selection tool has been enhanced to enable quick selection of edges that are tangent, equal length, parallel or part of a loop.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/g6iw15hugz?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

DRAWINGS

As usual, there are a number of performance and quality improvements to Drawings. In this update, view quality has been improved and moving dimensions is now much easier, but the biggest update is to the Drawing Sheets flyout which now lists every view on every sheet.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/f6loeyd4zh?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

VERSIONED DRAWING REFERENCE HIGHLIGHTING

When inspecting a version of a drawing, hovering your mouse over a dimension will now highlight the geometry that dimension is referencing to help you understand the drawing better.

QUICK ACCESS TO RECENTLY OPENED DOCUMENTS

When the My Onshape filter is active on the Documents page, you can now access your most recently opened Documents from the Quick Access area of the Documents list, without having to activate the Recently Opened filter.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/rx2137chso?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

GRAPHICS PREVIEW

On larger Assemblies and Part Studios, Onshape will now display a graphics preview that you can pan, zoom and spin as the Document or Element tab is loading. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/bva4w71nf5?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

ACCESSING THE LEARNING CENTER

You can now quickly access the Learning Center from within Onshape by clicking the new button in the top right hand corner. 

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.
Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Comments

• This new update is awesome! Custom materials is something I've been asking for for a while, and playing with it the past few minutes I've been very happy! That being said, a really cool added feature for this would be to set parts to a specific weight. For example, if I want to import a specific motor I can now reverse engineer to set a custom density, but it would be so much easier if I can just set the weight of a specific part in a studio.

Thanks for working hard on pushing out these updates!
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Very nice work as usual!

Can't wait to get my hands on material library, and create selection edges (was kinda missing that from SW)
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice improvements!! Drawings and performance improvements are always welcome, and the new edge selection options looks awesome 
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭
    Custom Materials and Libraries!!!!  I have been waiting a long time for these.  Can't wait to set up my materials libraries to what is available in Australia.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Great list of improvements, thanks, Team.  Keep up the good work all, these little things help the users. 

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • daniel_splawskidaniel_splawski Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    Great work with the scroll wheel adjustment on the feature list!
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    +100
  • tyler_popetyler_pope Member, Developers Posts: 21 PRO
    Edge selection is a great addition. The line between very expensive desktop software and Onshape is getting thinner with every update. 
  • tago_kalbritago_kalbri Member Posts: 8 PRO
    Big thumbs up for keeping up good work. It's always nice morning when I see that OnShape has updated :D 

Edge selection is really useful, materials close second.
    Rest of updates nice to have :)
  • yong_kimyong_kim Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
     <3 
  • Andrew_Enslow_3DSAndrew_Enslow_3DS Member Posts: 40 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Thanks for the update!

1. Really liked the custom materials, now I can use any material I want! (rather dangerous)
    2. New selection options are nice to have, they make quick work of the small round some plastic parts.
    3. Drawing sheets and view logistical improvements are much appreciated.
    Thanks for the graphics preview as well.
  • Hans_Ole_LeirvikHans_Ole_Leirvik Member Posts: 78 PRO
    Great work !  
    Santa next ? 
  • StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    Custom Material Libraries... there is a lot more to material than its density. When will all the other important material properties be added/inputable to material libraries?

Need to be able to assign a mass (weight) and inertial properties to a part.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    //rami
  • paul_chastellpaul_chastell Onshape Employees Posts: 124
    @StephenG, I can't speak to when we will expand this to more properties, or support manual override of the mass properties of a part, though we know that both are important and intend to add such support in future. You can add your vote and comments to https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/4010/user-defined-materials-or-adding-a-weight-for-a-part. If you list out which properties are important to you too that would help us prioritize future work.
    Paul Chastell
    TVP, Onshape R&D
  • 123_456660123_456660 Member Posts: 31 EDU
    It would be nice if the edge selection tools worked in sketches for things like offsets...
  • maximilian_schommermaximilian_schommer Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    This new update is awesome! Custom materials is something I've been asking for for a while, and playing with it the past few minutes I've been very happy! That being said, a really cool added feature for this would be to set parts to a specific weight. For example, if I want to import a specific motor I can now reverse engineer to set a custom density, but it would be so much easier if I can just set the weight of a specific part in a studio.

Thanks for working hard on pushing out these updates!
    @milkenknights_test_account @StephenG

I agree with the ability to add a custom weight, but here's a quick featurescript that just gives you the density needed to make your part a requested mass. The process of making material libraries is long, so this might not be that useful, but the feature could be extended to output the csv of all densities needed to make a series of parts have certain masses. 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/86809a3e3987a65b9de9b77d/w/a46bbc7650522765ca0c9cce/e/ced19a67fadd7ae81439b4a4

Max
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited December 2017
    @Marc_Miller
    Please create a request for voting, surely gets my +1 :+1:

//rami
    OK, 

Custom Materials (including mass properties) are now available.  Great.  I am currently well advanced on creating a personal custom materials .csv file.

However, I was expecting mass properties for both OS and any Custom Materials to be available in the "Insert Sheet Reference Property" drop down for drawings, to be released at the same time.  I was disappointed.  I can't find an IR for this function so I can vote for it.  Does such an IR exist?

I want to be able to modify my drawing templates, so that mass properties in my drawings populate automatically (just like other properties).  Currently I have to manually copy the mass from a part studio, then switch to the relevant drawing and paste in the mass every time.  Very time consuming and inefficient.

Is there a way to automate this process? The mass data obviously exists (if a material is assigned to a part), so It should be relatively simple to write code to do this. I am not a programmer, otherwise I would have a crack myself.
  • Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 210
    edited December 2017
    @chrisjh777

Under "Insert sheet reference property" in the note command, Add "Material".

You have to make sure your "sheet reference" in the sheet properties is set to a part and not a Part Studio.

We cannot add mass properties yet to the drawing. Please file an improvement request.
    Support & QA
  • Marc_MillerMarc_Miller Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    Ok, here's an IR for optional color info for custom materials.  Thanks @3dcad
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/7879/custom-materials-optional-color-info#latest

• emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • jordan_simondsjordan_simonds Onshape Employees Posts: 3
    Thanks for your patience while we figured out the root of the problem! It took a few tries since the browsers have subtle differences that make some solutions work in some cases but not all.

It took some lateral thinking but we think we landed on a solution that should very closely resemble the scroll speed/behavior that you expect throughout your system.

Please let us know if anything else feels unnatural. We don't like little things like this impeding anyone's workflow  :)
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Scrolling is restored to "sensible speed" here so thanks for the attention to detail :-)

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • claus_jeppesen817claus_jeppesen817 Member Posts: 39 PRO
    edited December 2017
    Please let the community know when a material library CSV file with EN (DIN) material are created. It will be much appreciated in Europe.
    Also it would be feasible for all if Onshape or others provided a material library for each materérial group (thermoplastics, rubber, copper alloys, stainless steels, etc). It makes no sense if we all should do so individually
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Hi @claus_jeppesen817 - because so many materials differ depending upon the supplier you choose (especially plastics), it is not our intention to create material libraries for every possible variation. Your best option is to create your own library of the materials you commonly use. A good resource is matweb.com or your suppliers' data sheets.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    NeilCooke said:
    Hi @claus_jeppesen817 - because so many materials differ depending upon the supplier you choose (especially plastics), it is not our intention to create material libraries for every possible variation. Your best option is to create your own library of the materials you commonly use. A good resource is matweb.com or your suppliers' data sheets.

What might be nice, as OS gains market share, is for materials manufacturers to see value in their products being included in a central onshape library.  They could then maintain their OS library of products and we could select them from their certified list.

This would also allow for planned obsolescence  / seamless new material introduction.

Owen S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    @Jason_S

Re Mass Properties implementation into Sheet References for drawings.

IR Raised here:  https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/7920/implement-mass-properties-of-materials-into-insert-sheet-reference-dropdown-for-drawings/p1?new=1

Chrisjh777