Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Derived now slower – regenerates Parent Partstudios

florianflorian Member, OS Professional Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
edited December 2017 in Product Feedback
Hi!

I have the feeling that the derived feature got a lot slower since a few weeks. Situation:
  • Partstudio 1 (PS1 for short) has a regen time of 10 seconds
  • If I derive any part from PS1 into a PS2 in the same document the regen time of PS2 is equal to that of PS1 = Full regeneration of PS1
The derive feature should not have the need to trigger the regeneration of another partstudio as that PS1 is already up to date. With Onshape always being regenerated I don't see the need to regenerate everything again just fopr a derive, if no feature was changed.

A few weeks back, a derive did not add that kind of overhead. Did Onshape change something under the hood that makes the regeneration necessary? Might this be connected to any of the EVP features I have access to?

––Flo

@pete_yodis you might look into this.

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    edited December 2017
    HI @florian this has always been the case and it is philip_thomas favorite subject

EDIT: If PS1 had not changed PS2 should be quick

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • florianflorian Member, OS Professional Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    @NeilCooke really? All of it - or the EVP part? Because I just looked at a PS at my colleague and the regen time shrunk from 11 Seconds to 500 ms :smile:
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Sorry, with the recent update it may have cleared your local cache. Is it the same even after reloading the doc?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited December 2017
    Ok, i am seeing my name being sprinkled like pixie dust about this forum! :)

Neil is correct, if the cache is valid, then there is no regen of PS1.
    We just released and all caches were invalidated. That said, we just finished the USW (USA) document upgrades and the smart people say that it should be working fast again. If your doc is still doing the full rebuild of PS1 as part of a rebuild of the derived feature in PS2 (meaning you edited something above it), then please submit a ticket.
    Thank you :)

(this has been edited because Ilya is standing next to me explaining how it works) :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • florianflorian Member, OS Professional Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    If your doc is still doing the full rebuild on a SECOND and subsequent open AND you are in the USA, then please submit a ticket.
    Thank you :)
    OK, I'll have a look at it and wait for EU West to be at the new version. I'll keep you posted

Regards,
    Florian
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Florian - see my edited response - edit something above the derive and see if the behaviour persists.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,174
     I feel like an under-the-hood caching/derived demystified blog post may be in order...
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
     I feel like an under-the-hood caching/derived demystified blog post may be in order...
    Yes please, any and all "under the hood" insight welcomed here :+1:

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Ok, i am seeing my name being sprinkled like pixie dust about this forum! :)
    I think we've just had Philip's nickname for the rest of the year handed to us on a platter. :)

@lougallo, do you think you could change @philip_thomas' avatar to something "Pixie Dust" related?

This might do:-

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Good job it's already December! ;)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape