Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Any way to change selection behavior?

andrew_cassidyandrew_cassidy Member Posts: 1
The way Onshape does selection of multiple components seems unintuitive, I'd rather it act like other software where you hold shift to select multiple parts. its annoying to have to zoom out to click the background every time I want to clear the selection. Is there any way to change this behavior, or is this coming in the future?
Tagged:

Comments

• mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can also clear your selections by hitting the spacebar. It's not a fix, but it's easier than zooming out and double-clicking.
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    Or via RMB menu
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    edited January 2018
    Once I got used to selection methods in OS I like it much better.  Just start clicking to add on selection with no need to find ctrl key, select object again to remove, and as pointed out above space bar to clear all.  And I am loving rmb 'Create selection'.  Time and again I appreciate how OS works in new ways where it makes sense.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • kuifje_tintinkuifje_tintin Member Posts: 7
    Hi 

I just wanted to say that i am browsing through this forum to learn and for tip&tricks. I never really noticed the "create selection" but i tried it and it's brilliant in its simplicity: show the selection as a list!
  • Alkis_KaraolisAlkis_Karaolis Member Posts: 10 PRO
    Hi, i also prefer holding shift to select. Is there a way to disable the automatic selection permanently?
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    @Alkis_Karaolis - no there is not. Stick with it, you’ll get to like it very quickly. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    Really i will get to like it ! Great response
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    I was skeptical at first but now like it.  What does needing two hands really add to making multiple selections?  We can do it one handed, and de-selection is still simple.  Forgive the question but what's not to like?
    Cheers, Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    It throws back to autocad style selection, which when you go back and fourth between the two, it makes it easier.  But I too wish there were an option for ctrl and shift select, and normal clicking as single select.

More often than not it seems I am just touching a part to drag it, or checking its mass. Constantly unselecting the part before hand, or spacebar (why spacebar and not esc is beyond me)  is tiedious.
    I want to be able to tell Onshape when i want to select something. Always selecting objects you click on and then having to deselect them results in more clicks based on the way i am used to work and products i design. Onshape has made a study showing it result in less clicks good, i will have to compromise and "get to like it". 
  • JamesSJamesS Member Posts: 3 PRO
    I also wish selection was like other software. I am wearing out my spacebar deselecting. I've been an OnShape user for 2 years and still don't like it.
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

My two cents. What works for me ——

Maybe a little bit of deviation here as I use Onshape on a touchscreen device — my iPhone —  but for what its worth — I use one hand for selection and deselect — mostly one finger for select & deselect. It works good

Like others, for a long time I used the method where you held one button down with your left hand and used your right hand on the mouse to select multiple items. Now I hobby with Onshape and I like the way it works.

I don’t have a lot of problems accidentally dragging things on my iPhone.

If I did happen to select the wrong thing, it’s easy and fast to deselect it and select what I want. But this doesn’t happen a whole lot either.

Like @owen_sparks , I can’t see why I would want to use 2 hands to select things, when I’m now doing it with one.

Everybody’s got their preference. For those that want an option, if you haven’t already, make an improvement request.