Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Extrude from offset plane

micdominmicdomin Member Posts: 16 PRO
I would appreciate to be able to extrude at a distance from the sketch plane in a more direct manner that what is offered today :

Where first Blind extrusion is the distance from the sketch plane to the end of the extrusion (i.e. 100mm) and second Blind extrusion is the required plane offset (i.e. 25mm) resulting in a part 75mm long.
It would be less confusing to - first - provide the length (i.e. Blind 75mm) of the required part and - second - provide the plane offset (i.e. 25mm).
Perhaps a tick box labeled "Offset Plane" would do the trick?

Tagged:

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited January 2018
    It would be easier for you to insert an offset plane before sketching.
    But I like the way you think here. It would be efficient to just have an offset from sketch plane. Like we get from extruding To Face.

Especially when sharing sketch geometry between parts. Right now we have to create an offset plane, create a sketch on that plane, then "Use" in order to offset the part. Or do as you have with the second end condition, Or add a translate feature to the tree.
    All of which feel like work arounds to me compared to this improvement.
  • Mark_MatthewsMark_Matthews Member Posts: 25 ✭✭✭
    micdomin said:
    It would be less confusing to - first - provide the length (i.e. Blind 75mm) of the required part and - second - provide the plane offset (i.e. 25mm).
    Perhaps a tick box labeled "Offset Plane" would do the trick?

This is the better solution and in line with what SolidWorks users are used to.
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    It should have a tick box labelled "offset from sketch plane", that, when it's ticked, it changes the depth variable to "depth from start of Extrude".
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I agree current functionality is possible but hard to use and takes manual calculations, what we need is an offset from a plane with a checkbox which disables the "second end position" and allows an offset length and the blind extrude length to start from the offset plane, not the original. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • alex_kirkpatrickalex_kirkpatrick Member Posts: 2
    +1 to needing a "blind from offset" option in the extrude feature. 
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Heck yeah, "offset distance" and then "extrude from start point by this amount"  makes more sense in my head.

Which is easier to comprehend?

(a) Build me a 10 foot long fence starting 6 feet away from where we're standing.

(b) Build me a 16 foot long fence that doesn't start for the first 6 feet.

:p:p:p

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • stephane_fassinstephane_fassin Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    +1  Just came across a situation where I could have benefited from this feature.
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    I fully agree with this. The current method feels pretty hacky and there's lots of mouse clicking. Another issue with the current method is that if you want draft, it still uses the sketch plane as the neutral plane, which makes it pretty useless in this application.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't had a need to do this in Onshape yet and I'm pretty surprised to see that this feature isn't already available. Outside of the extra clicks required to create the feature initially, I'd be more worried about having to update dimensions in two different places if my desired "offset" distance changes. I'm worried I'd forget to do the math and update the second dimension. 
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    Its less than two months later and I forgot about my previous comment here. I just found myself wondering "How do I start an extrude from an offset distance? Isn't that an option?" 

Apparently not yet. 
  • Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    Was this ever turned into an improvement request? I have had many occasions on which this would have been beneficial.
  • david_7david_7 Member, csevp Posts: 18 PRO
    Enhancement request Extrude from Blind, Surface, Vertex, etc 
  • NemNem Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2020
    I agree. This is an excellent request.
    I would also like to see an option where you could also do the same at the other end of the extrude. Where you can extrude up to an entity (face, surface, plane, vertex) or an offset also from that entity? Thus you could offset at both ends of the extrude. I think this would be valuable when using a Master Sketch in multi part - part modelling.

• lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    Have you tried Second end position option in extrude dialog ? 
  • NemNem Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2020
    Hi Lana.
    I didn't appreciate that you could use that second direction to reverse and remove material back from the main extrude as well.
    I still think having an offset option on the main extrude would be a good idea. 
    Thankyou for taking the time to show me that second option.