Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Assembly Named Views in Drawings

tristan_flintofftristan_flintoff Member Posts: 12 PRO
Is it possible to insert a named view of an assembly into a drawing? Custom named views do not seem to be appearing in the 'insert view' function on a drawing for an assembly.

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited January 2018
    Hi.

Yes indeed.

Create your assy and then the named view, and then your custom view will appear in the "insert view" feature.

Here you can see I've created a custom view normal to one of the sides of these extrusions and have called it "My Custom Assy View".  I've inserted the standard 4 views and then on the far right I've added a fith which is from my custom view.

Link to document:-

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • tristan_flintofftristan_flintoff Member Posts: 12 PRO
    @owen_sparks ;Thanks

Is this possible for perspective view or is there any other way of being able to dimension up an assembly in perspective view?
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @tristan_flintoff

No, it isn't possible
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 518
    edited January 2018
    @tristan_flintoff Perspective is not supported yet, as it would require support for true dimensions as well.  Projected dimensions and perspective views don't tell the truth that you would like them to.  Please feel free to use the feedback tool to request them and we'll take care to put you on those improvements.
  • tristan_flintofftristan_flintoff Member Posts: 12 PRO
    @PeteYodis @mbartlett21 ;OK thanks anyway!
  • johan_van_ravenhorstjohan_van_ravenhorst Member Posts: 19 ✭✭✭
    Vote Up the "drawing perspective view" feature here: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/10304
  • Cedric_EveleighCedric_Eveleigh Member, OS Professional, csevp Posts: 59 PRO
    @owen_sparks
    I'm not seeing the named view option. I followed your instructions to create an assembly and a named view in the assembly, but I don't see my named view in the "Insert view" feature.

It would be really nice if perspective views could be inserted into drawings.