Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

drawing - dimension not correct

wolfgang_maierwolfgang_maier Member Posts: 39 ✭✭✭
Hello,

i have a door frame with hinges 497.5 mm away from the edge. When i create a drawing and show the distance of the hinge, Onshape shows 351mm. What am i doing wrong?

Link to my document:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c6340dbcf74fde9791d7d34e/w/5ee994347b6b0a1748d30ef6/e/26d8845e42914aec02e5d9c3

Best Answer

Answers

• mr_deekmr_deek Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Hello, 

I would say the 'Accepted' diagnosis is incorrect. A measurement is absolute, to consider any other value based on a view is absurd. 

I may suggest this phrasing ... and further direction ...

Not supported = Can perform the action. Resulting action provides an Error notification ( or no action / no result / out of scope of product ). 
    Bug = Can perform the action. Resulting action is incorrect.

Bug(s) should be corrected in the product as they are misleading and incorrect.

Thank you.

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited July 2019
    Onshape already devolving into a cult? Downvotes against rational criticism?
    Yup!
    I agree; both with your terminology / analysis of the issue above and the absurdity of down-voting such a comment.  On behalf of the community "Sorry".  For what it's worth it's not normally like that here.
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
     I agree @mr_deek makes a good case for terminology.  Thanks for those definitions.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Oh look a couple of those down-votes have gone away :)
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd