Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - March 2nd, 2018

NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
edited March 2018 in New in Onshape
With so many great new feature requests, the updates can't come fast enough! So here's the latest, ahead of schedule, with several new productivity features for Sheet Metal, Drawings and Configurations. Keep those improvement requests coming. Enjoy!

FACE PATTERN AND FACE MIRROR IN SHEET METAL

Face Pattern and Face Mirror features can now be added to active sheet metal parts. A new button has also been added to these feature dialogs to enable quick access to the Create Selection tool.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/o506rdp0d6?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

ARC CENTERLINES IN DRAWINGS

The Edge to Edge Centerline feature in Drawings can now be used to add arc and circle centerlines, ideal for annotating arc slots and other curved features.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/4cjiwmfadq?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

SKETCHES IN DRAWING VIEWS

You can now add a sketch into an existing drawing view of a part. This gives you more ways to detail and annotate important information that is critical to the manufacture of your part.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/suyfgyxqcl?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

SPLINES IN DRAWINGS

You can now draw splines in Drawings. A spline can be drawn on the drawing sheet or it can be snapped to model geometry in a single drawing view (in which case it will be associated with the view). The spline entity has the same behavior as a spline in a sketch; you can make an open spline, a closed spline, move spline points to change the shape, add more spline points, and delete spline points. Splines in Drawings can also self-intersect.

DRAWING SHEET REFERENCES

The Drawing Sheets flyout now lists the Part, Part Studio or Assembly that the Drawing View was created from. Right-clicking the reference enables you to quickly switch tabs.

ADDING DATA TO CONFIGURATION TABLES 

You can now copy and paste data into cells in a configuration table. These cells also now behave more like a spreadsheet with easy to use keyboard navigation.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/vmqashzyos?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

COMPARING CONFIGURATIONS

The Compare tool can now be used to inspect the differences between two configurations.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/c7akmboqt6?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

CONFIGURE CUSTOM PROPERTIES

In addition to the default part properties, any custom part properties created by a Company admin can now be added to a configuration table.

SPLIT FACE WITH FACE OR SKETCH REGION

In the last update, we introduced the option to split a part using a face from a solid or a sketch region. This capability has now been extended to the Split Face feature. This gives you more flexibility; you no longer have to create a plane, a surface or a sketch perpendicular to the face you want to split.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.
Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Most excellent, thanks folks,
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Very nice!

Sketches in drawings.. that are actually attached to views... Sweet!
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    :+1: Thanks!

//rami
  • colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    Sketches in drawings! Awesome.  
    Thank you
  • MatthewMatthew OS Professional, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 26 PRO
    Thanks for another great set of updates!
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @NeilCooke

When will we be able to insert sketches that are in assemblies??
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • yong_kimyong_kim Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Cool..
  • josh_lindsay330josh_lindsay330 Member Posts: 1
    I love the ability to add sketches to drawings.  What would complete that feature for me would be to be able to add hatching to an area of a sketch - the use case I have in mind is for sketching out keep-out areas on PCB drawings.  I can brute-force it by drawing my own hatching using construction lines, but a button for that would be awesome.  
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Nice to see more updates, thankyou!
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • turan_aydinturan_aydin Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Very nice ! Keep going !
  • david_fongdavid_fong Member Posts: 2 PRO
    Really great to see the sketches in drawings.  I can now truly get rid of my 2D CAD - thanks guys! 
  • javier_perez686javier_perez686 Member Posts: 3
    Cuándo váis a solucionar que vaya tan lento cuando el proyecto empieza a ser un poco complejo? La gente se está quejando desde hace mucho tiempo y esto sigue igual. De nada sirve que sigáis añadiendo mejoras al programa si para modificar una simple línea tarda una eternidad.
  • jackson_kingjackson_king OS Professional Posts: 80 PRO
    Cuándo váis a solucionar que vaya tan lento cuando el proyecto empieza a ser un poco complejo? La gente se está quejando desde hace mucho tiempo y esto sigue igual. De nada sirve que sigáis añadiendo mejoras al programa si para modificar una simple línea tarda una eternidad.
    @javier_perez686, I have found that by making sure to keep my part studios as simple as possible, it really helps with performance.  It has been my experience that performance starts to slow when you get more than 100 features in a single part studio and REALLY slows down after 200 features.  Don't even ask me about after 300 features;) . I have had to train myself to be disciplined about part studio size and complexity.  I now use in-context a lot and try to drive those off of my top level assembly, just to keep the references easy to manage.

He descubierto que al asegurarme de mantener mis estudios de piezas tan simples como sea posible, realmente me ayuda con el rendimiento. Según mi experiencia, el rendimiento comienza a disminuir cuando se obtienen más de 100 funciones en un estudio de una sola pieza y REALMENTE se ralentiza después de 200 funciones. Ni siquiera me preguntes después de 300 características;). He tenido que entrenarme para ser disciplinado sobre el tamaño y complejidad del estudio en parte. Ahora uso mucho en contexto y trato de eliminarlos de mi ensamblaje de nivel superior, solo para mantener las referencias fáciles de administrar.

• javier_perez686javier_perez686 Member Posts: 3
    @javier_perez686, I have found that by making sure to keep my part studios as simple as possible, it really helps with performance.  It has been my experience that performance starts to slow when you get more than 100 features in a single part studio and REALLY slows down after 200 features.  Don't even ask me about after 300 features;) . I have had to train myself to be disciplined about part studio size and complexity.  I now use in-context a lot and try to drive those off of my top level assembly, just to keep the references easy to manage.

He descubierto que al asegurarme de mantener mis estudios de piezas tan simples como sea posible, realmente me ayuda con el rendimiento. Según mi experiencia, el rendimiento comienza a disminuir cuando se obtienen más de 100 funciones en un estudio de una sola pieza y REALMENTE se ralentiza después de 200 funciones. Ni siquiera me preguntes después de 300 características;). He tenido que entrenarme para ser disciplinado sobre el tamaño y complejidad del estudio en parte. Ahora uso mucho en contexto y trato de eliminarlos de mi ensamblaje de nivel superior, solo para mantener las referencias fáciles de administrar.

Llevo 244 features. Entiendo que pueda ralentizarse un poco, pero lo que no es nornal es que tarde más de 15 min sólo en mostrarme un sketch y otors 10 min en poder borrar un punto. No es normal. De esas 244 features se podrían bajar a 150 si no fuese tan lento, pero a veces opto por hacer features nuevas en vez de modificar las ya existentes porque tarda 15 min cada vez que intento modificar algo ya creado. Si esto es normal me buscaré otro programa con el que se pueda trabajar cómodamente.
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @javier_perez686 - If you would like to share your document with me (pthomas@onshape.com (i would need edit and copy rights)), i am happy to run it through some of our diagnostic tools and report back to you.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Song_YikunSong_Yikun Member Posts: 39 PRO
    Sketches in drawings looks so good but I cannot find the updated option now :'(:'(:'(  
    btw, when can we meet the native BOM tool?
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    Thank you so much for attached sketches in drawing views. I cannot wait to use it.
  • Andrew_Enslow_3DSAndrew_Enslow_3DS Member Posts: 40 ✭✭✭
    Special thanks for the updates below!
    1. Pattern in Sheet Metal, using this right away
    2. Configure custom properties - Alright!
    3. Copy table looks sweet.
    4. Configuration compare, a handy tool.
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @javier_perez686 al igual que te ha comentado @philip_thomas, puedes compartir un documento conmigo (emagdalena@close2circle.com) para saber exactamente a qué se debe ese rendimiento tan bajo.
    Por lo que comentas es posible que se deba a alguna operación específica que esté penalizando demasiado al rendimiento. Seguramente con una ligera modificación o cambio de la metodología de modelado se solucione.

Puedes comprobar los tiempos de regeneración del Part Studio pulsando sobre el icono del cronómetro ("Show regeneration times") en la parte superior del gestor de operaciones.
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice improvements!!

Once we have splines in drawings, maybe you could add a local section view?? ;-)
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Brandon_ChiouBrandon_Chiou Member Posts: 2 PRO
    @NeilCooke

Thanks for the webinar presentation! Just a few more questions:

To recap: would I be correct in saying that in order to have elements of one configuration table drive those in another, I must incorporate variables in the feature tree that link the two tables?

Is there any built-in functionality between configurations and drawing parameters (e.g. titles, customizable fields, etc.)?
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    @Brandon_Chiou - you can reference a configuration variable in another configuration table, however in my example I wanted to use a list so I could specify the exact values. This table, in turn, must drive a regular variable in order for that value to be used in another config table. Confused? I wouldn't blame you. I made the doc public here:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/fba67f881283a5243aee4cd6/w/917776198c72b06946afef77/e/b9b251ffc6ea54c0d596a0d3

You can use configs to drive part properties which in turn can be displayed in a drawing. Hope this helps!

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    Sometimes It's the subtle graphical shadows and stuff that just make onshape look visually appealing.

I edited this cell 3 times just to enjoy the effect ;)
  • stephen_jones391stephen_jones391 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Neil for your latest webinar on configs. this addition of using functions within featurescript to drive a configuration is radical to me. Is Onshape the only one to do it this way and if so why has it taken this long to get to this point. I do think you now have the ability to create your own configerators online and do not need third party add- ons. again well done Niel and Joe and the team, it has taken some time but I think now we can truly say the world has a true parametric tool. Couple this with augmented reality and you could build the empire state building in your back yard. Thanks again for your direction. StevetheBuddistXXX
  • DarK_AlximiKDarK_AlximiK Member Posts: 11
    Can we make folder grouping system for assembly instances? Fasteners are taking over the whole view :)
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    I feel the time is right to have some nice new updates.  o:)

Something BOM related would be nice.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    I feel the time is right to have some nice new updates.  o:)

Something BOM related would be nice.

Owen S.
     :) 

Blog Update:
    https://www.onshape.com/cad-blog/introducing-design-data-management-2.0

Live Presentation (starts at 37:00):
    https://livestream.com/accounts/25929353/events/8118439/videos/171991846
    Thank GOD!