Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to modeling M8 thread

Hi
I am a beginner in the free onshape. I hope somebody can assist me to lean how to modelling threads e.g. M6 or 3/8" threads?
BR
Karsten

Comments

• karsten_hjort_gregersenkarsten_hjort_gregersen Member Posts: 11
    Please help
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi @karsten_hjort_gregersen

Usually we discourage making threads as they will noticeably decrease the performance of your part studio, and aren't really required for design.  If you're trying to do this for 3d printing or something where the threads are actually required, you can try using this custom feature:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6b640a407d78066bd5e41c7a/w/4693805578a72f40ebfb4ea3/e/f8aea9e5c33e02eab0854a4f

If you've never used a custom feature before, check out these resources about how to add them to your toolbar and use them:
    https://www.onshape.com/featurescript (Watch the video in the 'Start using custom features' section).
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/customfeature.htm
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Jake_Rosenfeld

How does that custom feature actually create the threads??

The FS imports stuff from another document that is not public and gives no clue to how it makes the threads.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @mbartlett21

This is not an internal Custom Feature.
    @dave_cowden wrote it and may choose to answer if he wants.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • dave_cowdendave_cowden Member, Developers Posts: 473 ✭✭✭
    Hi there @Jake_Rosenfeld

Creating threads is not trivial, despite the apparent simplicity. As others have posted, actually modelling threads is typically only useful in special cases. One example is when making threads for 3d printing

The general process is:

Start with a cylinder
    Make a helix
    Make a sketch, which you use to cut the threads. For normal threads this is a triangle, but for other forms it is different. 
    Sweep the sketch along the helix to cut the threads

The complexities come in when you consider these things (in combination too)

Standard thread dimensions
    Tolerancing. (Are you creating a nominal or realistic thread fit, and if so what thread fit)
    Lead in and lead out
    Multiple thread profiles
    Multiple starts
    Internal and external
    Performance. There are a lot of tricks to get performance to be food. As an example, in my feature I actually don't do a cut sweep in one operation, I make the thread form then subtract it from the original instead.

Hope that helps!

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100