Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Konvert surface to part

Kai_himselfKai_himself Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
Hey,
for simscale i need a geometry without wallwidth. I have a modell with only surface areas. I cant import this into simscale. I it possible to convert the surfacemodel into a part model ? Here is the link https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e5594902445e99fc5ccdd37a/w/e5d72114dfcb339596413de0/e/d04f4890131385516d6e2bc5

Greetz Kai

Comments

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited March 2018
  • Options
    Hey @Jake_Rosenfeld ,
    thank you for your answer, but the modelwalls has do be zero thickness :(.

Greetz Kai
  • Options
    Hey its me again,
    know anyone why i cant import my model to simscale ? I made a picture from it.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,394
    First of all I would consider contacting simscale support. They are the author of the Onshape connector and may have a better idea of what is happening. If you want just surfaces you could export your Onshape model in STEP format and upload that to simscale. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I actually find it easier just to export models and import into Simscale rather than using their connector. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    Hey @NeilCooke and @brucebartlett ,
    thank you for your answers.

I try it in the STEP format, but i cant import it into simscale. Than i try it in stl format, that works, but i dont have only one geometry without single surface, that is bad, i need single surface to assign boundary conditions.
    I wrote an email to the simscale support, i will get back to you.

Greetz Kai

• Options
    Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 210
    Hi, @Kai_himself

I am confused why you are looking just for surfaces. Managing disjointed surfaces for any simulation ends up kind of being a hassle. 

My go to method for Simscale is actually to import the volume I am interested in and create topological entity sets off the solid object. This allows me to create interior walls and inlet and outlet lids on the surfaces of the solid part.

Then you can create meshes from those topological entity sets later. My image only shows my mesh creation for the walls of the converging-diverging nozzle. 

Then you can later define the whether the meshes are walls, pressure or velocity inlets/outlets.

Simscale support is super helpful and their videos and papers are very informative and get you to the right information quickly. The key is to make sure all of the dots are either green or blue, no red ones.

https://www.simscale.com/tutorials/
    https://www.simscale.com/docs/
    https://www.simscale.com/learning/tutorials/

Thanks!

Jason
    Support & QA
  • Options
    @Jason_S,
    thank you for your post !
    I will try it with the topological entity sets. At my first try, i creat the geometry with parts. I have a picture that shows the problem.
    After the Mesh i got a internal and a external wall, at a surface i got only one wall.

Maybe i can avoid it with topological entitys.
    Greetz Kai