Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - March 22nd, 2018

cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
edited March 2018 in New in Onshape
This is a very exciting update. With this update, we are not only adding a huge core CAD feature, but we are also adding an entirely new Onshape subscription plan that includes our new Release Management and Approval Workflows. And even more exciting? All current Onshape Professional subscribers are being automatically upgraded. No extra charge.  More details below, but for now, let's get into the what's new!

RELEASE MANAGEMENT AND APPROVAL WORKFLOWS
A modern approach to release management. Onshape Professional plan subscribers now have a complete release management system built right into Onshape. 
https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/bhlxrk1ehc?embedType=iframe&videoWidth=640

SIMULTANEOUS BILL OF MATERIALS
A Bill of Materials integrated directly within your Onshape Assembly. It is created automatically, updates in real-time, and is an entirely new way to interact with and even edit your assembly.
https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/86wkm5l9zx?embedType=iframe&videoWidth=640

In addition to these two big pieces of functionality, we also have our usual list of updates that we bring you every few weeks.

SHEET METAL EXTRUDE IMPROVEMENTS
You will find more end types available when extruding sheet metal parts in the Start Sheet Metal command.
https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/w4x7nfg3hk?embedType=iframe&videoWidth=640

CONTEXT MENU IN VERSIONS AND HISTORY
The gear drop-down menu in the Versions and History flyout has been replaced with a simple right-click context menu. To find any of the options previously available in the gear drop-down menu, simply right-click on the version, branch or moment in history.

KEYBOARD SHORTCUT FOR NAMED VIEWS
Shift + v is the new keyboard shortcut for Named views.

ALIGN NOTE AND FLIP COMMAND
You can now align and flip notes in a drawing. If you right-click an aligned note and choose Flip, it will flip the note 180 degrees. You can also detach and re-attach Notes using the middle grip point.
https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/ym95qu8azc?embedType=iframe&videoWidth=640

DEFAULT DRAWING BALLOON BEHAVIOR
Balloons will now remember your previous selections and make those the default the next time the command is selected.

SUBSCRIPTION PLAN CHANGES
In conjunction with today’s release (1.77), we have made a few changes to our paid plans. Details on the current state of all plans follows.

THE NEW ONSHAPE PROFESSIONAL PLAN
The new Onshape Professional plan is our flagship product and offers all Onshape CAD and data management functionality including the new Release Management & Approval Workflow capabilities mentioned above. It also offers company-wide administration tools and consolidated billing. Professional is the best plan for individuals and teams who need both professional-grade CAD and complete data management in one package.

The new Professional plan costs $175 per user per month (paid annually). All existing paid Onshape subscribers have been upgraded to the new Professional plan at no charge and will continue to pay the same price that they would have paid under the old pricing for future renewals and additional seats.

THE STANDARD PLAN
The new Standard plan replaces our old paid plan, and includes the full CAD functionality of our old paid plan plus the new Simultaneous Bill of Materials described above, but does not include Release Management & Approval Workflow, company-wide administration tools, or consolidated purchasing and billing. Standard is a great plan for individuals or very small teams who want full-featured CAD seats but have modest data management and collaboration requirements. The new Standard plan costs $125 per user per month (paid annually), the same price as our old paid plan.

THE FREE PLAN
The Free plan continues be a great option for CAD hobbyists and makers who need powerful modern CAD functionality and who are willing to share their designs publicly. The Free plan has the same functionality as before, but we are adding the new Simultaneous Bill of Materials described above. It does not include the new Release Management & Approval Workflow functionality released today.

THE EDUCATION PLAN
The Education plan continues to be the best choice for current students 13 years or older who are pursuing a degree, diploma or certificate at an accredited educational institution and current faculty members and school volunteers at these same institutions. The Education plan has the same functionality as before, including unlimited Private Documents bearing the Education plan watermark, but does not include the new Release Management & Approval Workflow functionality released today. Starting today, the Education plan will have the same features as the new Standard plan described above.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.

Comments

• konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just a suggeston - currently when selecting "exclude from bom option" the component disappears from the table. there should be an easier way to know if there exist excluded components right within BOM table, possibly by adding "excluded" property to the drop down list.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @konstantin_shiriazdanov you can show excluded items from the 3 dot menu in the top right corner of the BOM table.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Awesome, looking forward to trying it all out. I have been putting off doing a BOM, waiting for the new Onshape tool
    As have I :)

Great updates!
    Been waiting for integrated BOM since drawings have been released
    Sorry @oleg_shilovitsky ;p

NeilCooke said:
    @konstantin_shiriazdanov you can show excluded items from the 3 dot menu in the top right corner of the BOM table.

Sorry, I should have explore it more thoroughly.
    Is there a way to customize column set when inserting the BOM in drawing?
    @konstantin_shiriazdanov not currently - the BOM in the drawing is always the same as the BOM in the assembly.

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Awesome, looking forward to trying it all out. I have been putting off doing a BOM, waiting for the new Onshape tool

Great updates!

@john_mcclary  We are thrilled that you like the new BOM functionality and for some people, this is all that’s needed. While I realize your comment to Oleg was tongue-in-cheek :) it’s worth pointing out that OpenBOM is a far more sophisticated offering with key differentiating capabilities. For many people, OpenBOM is a very valuable partner application. 
    Looks like everyone should be happy :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    edited March 2018
    Oh wow. I have a Creo project that needs to be converted to Onshape ASAP, haha. The release management looks awesome!
  • Eric_GauthierEric_Gauthier Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    NeilCooke said:
    @konstantin_shiriazdanov not currently - the BOM in the drawing is always the same as the BOM in the assembly.

Do the BOM "freezes" when a version is created and keeps its associated drawing intact?
    @Eric_Gauthier - yes a version (or indeed a revision) is immutable, so once the drawing is versioned or released the BOM cannot change.

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Is there a way to set a default BOM column layout?  I am onto my second BOM now and have had to move the Qty colum each time  
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Song_YikunSong_Yikun Member Posts: 39 PRO
    Great!
    I believe it is necessary to add a weight(mass) property column for each part in BOM.
    Better to add a column that can customize the name. 
    Would it be possible to break the link between cell and model after a BOM inserted in drawing like solidworks?
  • Song_YikunSong_Yikun Member Posts: 39 PRO
    Can you guys please add a cloud line function that is widely used in drawing revisions?  :)

• bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    Already created a few BOMs - love it.  However need to be able to rename columns and link to a property like Mass
    Just add a checkbox to each Column header to exclude it from the drawing BOM, Done.
    the problem here may occur when one want to have several boms with different sets of columns for the same assembly. so i think adjusting for custom column sets should happen in the drawing. for example - ability to select user bom template in insert dialog
  • Hendrik_Hendrik_ Member Posts: 43 ✭✭✭
    DOH!  We had just finally decided to take the plunge on an Onshape paid subscription... just missed the included release management goodness it seems.

But boy I love how you guys keep up the development speed!  I’d love to see clash detection and a few more renderers but, boy, I love how you guys keep up the development speed.  Well done and keep it up.
    @s_bijadi @brucebartlett @mbartlett21 @Yikun_Song @bill_daniels @john_mcclary @konstantin_shiriazdanov

Thanks for the feedback on BOMs, this is very helpful. We are, of course, aware of most of these issues, however to get these items bumped up the list and into the product sooner could somebody please write up an improvement request (if you haven't done so already).

Thank you!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 PRO
    Is there a way to change the name of the 'Quantity' column? I'd like to rename it to 'Qty'
    agree, Quantity takes up too much room. 
  • michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    Upvote, upvote, upvote, upvote. You guys all have wonderful ideas and I look forward to see some of them in the next update. The new BOM feature is just amazing.

The one question I have is when I modify properties from an assembly of some parts that are contained in a different document and are versioned into the assembly, how do those changes affect the other document. Should I always start at the sub-assembly level and work my way up to the main assembly? It's not entirely clear to me what would be the best practice.
  • michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    Upvote, upvote, upvote, upvote. You guys all have wonderful ideas and I look forward to see some of them in the next update. The new BOM feature is just amazing.

The one question I have is when I modify properties from an assembly of some parts that are contained in a different document and are versioned into the assembly, how do those changes affect the other document. Should I always start at the sub-assembly level and work my way up to the main assembly? It's not entirely clear to me what would be the best practice.
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @michael_mcclain
    Did you mean to do two comments?
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Ben_MisegadesBen_Misegades Member Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    Excellent update, some really big tools added, and bumping all previously paying subscriptions up to the new Professional is a very nice move.

Thank you for adding the additional options to sheetmetal extrude, I can only hope that my Improvement Request helped a little in bringing about this change!

One question: are the simultaneous BOM's exclusive to Assemblies or can they be used in Part Studios, as well? Reason I ask is because I tend to make "weldments" in a part studio, so being able to have a BOM for that would be great (I haven't had the chance to actually try the BOM yet)
  • support_OpenBOMsupport_OpenBOM Member Posts: 5 PRO

Great updates!

@john_mcclary what exactly are you sorry about?