Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - March 22nd, 2018

2»

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited March 2018
    Awesome, looking forward to trying it all out. I have been putting off doing a BOM, waiting for the new Onshape tool
    As have I :)

Great updates!
    Been waiting for integrated BOM since drawings have been released
    Sorry @oleg_shilovitsky ;p

@john_mcclary what exactly are you sorry about? 

with integrated bom openbom may lose some subs
    You all have been putting in a lot of work

But a true integrated bom is absolutly required
  • michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    @michael_mcclain
    Did you mean to do two comments?
    No I did not. I clicked it once, switched to a different tab and when I came back the comment didn't post and I hit it again. My bad
  • Markku_LMarkku_L Member Posts: 32 PRO
    Nice!

For workflows...when release is approved, why not add some automation like "save drawing as pdf" and "save drawing as dxf" with some options like "save as pdf only sheet name "sheet1"", "save as dxf only sheet name "dxf"" for example?
    br
    Markku
    www.sloworks.fi
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Excellent update, some really big tools added, and bumping all previously paying subscriptions up to the new Professional is a very nice move.

Thank you for adding the additional options to sheetmetal extrude, I can only hope that my Improvement Request helped a little in bringing about this change!

One question: are the simultaneous BOM's exclusive to Assemblies or can they be used in Part Studios, as well? Reason I ask is because I tend to make "weldments" in a part studio, so being able to have a BOM for that would be great (I haven't had the chance to actually try the BOM yet)
    Simultaneous Bill of Materials is only for Assemblies right now.  If you would like to see additional functionality, please submit an improvement request.  These requests help us design, prioritize, and plan the future work we do.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 210
    @michael_mcclain
    Your BOM makes metadata changes in other documents or your current documents. It also respects all of the metadata rules we have throughout Onshape.

If you don't have permission to edit a field, or you are trying to edit a version-only property (like state) in a workspace, we will prevent that by making the cell grey. 

@Ben_Misegades
    There is no BOM in Part Studios.

(TLDR; The instancing issue)

As you know, Part Studios are for designing multiple parts once that have a direct relation to each other, Assemblies are for instancing parts correctly and defining motion (or lack-thereof). So every part would be it's own unique part in a Part Studio, regardless of actual, IRL duplicates. On top of proper instance tracking, the identification between clocked or mirrored parts needs to be spot on. 

If you want to talk more about weldments, let's find a different thread so we don't blow up this one, or contact our UX team.
    Support & QA
    Here is another snag with Item No. being imutable:

Here is an improvement request:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/8779/bom-information-for-standard-content/p1?new=1
  • michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    @Jason_S
    Ok I understand. That makes a nice workflow as I can master control metadata from one spot. I was always holding off until the end to add all that data in, but it messed me up sometimes. Now it is much easier to perform my documentation during the concept and design processes
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @michael_mcclain
    Did you mean to do two comments?
    No I did not. I clicked it once, switched to a different tab and when I came back the comment didn't post and I hit it again. My bad
    :smiley:

mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Markku_L said:
    For workflows...when release is approved, why not add some automation like "save drawing as pdf" and "save drawing as dxf" with some options like "save as pdf only sheet name "sheet1"", "save as dxf only sheet name "dxf"" for example?
    If you create an IR for this I would support it.Converting to exchange formats sometimes takes too much time. The documents could have a special kind of mark which would say what resulting type of output needed (pdf/dxf/stl/csv/parasolid)
  • support_OpenBOMsupport_OpenBOM Member Posts: 5 PRO
    Awesome, looking forward to trying it all out. I have been putting off doing a BOM, waiting for the new Onshape tool

Great updates!

@john_mcclary what exactly are you sorry about? 

with integrated bom openbom may lose some subs
    You all have been putting in a lot of work

But a true integrated bom is absolutly required

Great updates!

@john_mcclary We might lose some people that using OpenBOM for free today and spend less effort to support them for free. A significant part of our support calls from these users were about Onshape BOM in drawings.

At the same time, Onshape BOM API will make OpenBOM much faster. The number one problem OpenBOM had with Onshape until now is performance of BOM generation. New Onshape BOM API should solve the problem.

Spoiler alert - new OpenBOM app is coming. Stay tuned :)

• notyo_businessnotyo_business Member Posts: 1
    Could you guys possibly add revision clouds? They are very useful for drawings and would be a great addition
    Markku_L said:
    If you create an IR for this I would support it.Converting to exchange formats sometimes takes too much time. The documents could have a special kind of mark which would say what resulting type of output needed (pdf/dxf/stl/csv/parasolid)
    Who are you, Onshape, Openbom, somebody else? :-)

I have used years my own tool in SOLIDWORKS that maintains the last version of pdf/dxf/something like you want, for example it saves by sheet name, to the desired folder with desired name etc...so you get only what you need and nothing useless. This would be nice to have in Onshape, because I think it's pure waste of time to upgrade pdf's etc by hand every damn time that someting changes. 
    br
    Markku
    www.sloworks.fi
    Markku_L said:
    Markku_L said:
    Who are you, Onshape, Openbom, somebody else? :-)

I have used years my own tool in SOLIDWORKS that maintains the last version of pdf/dxf/something like you want, for example it saves by sheet name, to the desired folder with desired name etc...so you get only what you need and nothing useless. This would be nice to have in Onshape, because I think it's pure waste of time to upgrade pdf's etc by hand every damn time that someting changes. 
    He is one of the more baddass feature script contributors for sure
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Markku_L said:
    Who are you, Onshape, Openbom, somebody else?
    i'm from "somebody else" category)
    Markku_L said:
    yes, SW has a task schedauler and in OS it could be something even more powerful.
    Markku_L said:
    Who are you, Onshape, Openbom, somebody else?
    i'm from "somebody else" category)
    Markku_L said:
    yes, SW has a task schedauler and in OS it could be something even more powerful.
    Well, that's easy to get since task scheduler sucks in SW. It's just far too simple, and I really don't want to run anything every time, I want to automate. Check out screenshots for my SWupBB here: https://sloworks.fi/www/muut/
    br
    Markku
    www.sloworks.fi
  • chris_8chris_8 OS Professional Posts: 102 PRO
    I've been looking forward to BOM native inclusion, but the only times I've used assemblies have been for tutorial practice.  Assembly seems like an extra layer of work that's not typically needed in my projects.  Is it possible BOMs will be added to part studios at some point?  Or do I just need to have an epiphany about why I should be adding Assembly tabs to my documents?
    If you draw everything in one part studio it will slow down when you get more complex models.

Once you get a hand full of parts, it is best to switch over to an assembly and only draw each part once, rather than making patterns in a part studio.
    If you draw everything in one part studio it will slow down when you get more complex models.

Once you get a hand full of parts, it is best to switch over to an assembly and only draw each part once, rather than making patterns in a part studio.
    Most of my projects end up as a handful of parts or fewer.  I end up with a note file describing which adhesive was used, which screw and nut were purchased, and maybe what 3M tape was needed.  
    chris_8 said:

Most of my projects end up as a handful of parts or fewer.  I end up with a note file describing which adhesive was used, which screw and nut were purchased, and maybe what 3M tape was needed.  
    If you are going to be adding a BOM to your Drawings, you should still take the extra half step to make an assembly and insert your whole studio in one click, then fix one part, and group mate the rest.

Save you from hand editing the table, and will allow you to re-use some parts (like your tape) in other projects. Save you work in the long run.
    chris_8 said:

If you are going to be adding a BOM to your Drawings, you should still take the extra half step to make an assembly and insert your whole studio in one click, then fix one part, and group mate the rest.

Save you from hand editing the table, and will allow you to re-use some parts (like your tape) in other projects. Save you work in the long run.
    Honestly I didn't know it was that easy.  I haven't really used an assembly in over a year, and I thought it was add a part, choose another, and another, etc.   Thanks for that!

Drawings: Rarely I need one to send a part to a machinist, but mostly I just export DXFs, STEPs, STLs, etc.

• bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    The Integrated Simultaneous BOM adds substantial capabilities which arrived just in time to help my gear shop vendor understand the assembly.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c906a6bdcf50136ee9dbb9e1/w/9f6d794f5ac613eb6ba6aa67/e/1c403d7115718cdc0f167164

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited April 2018
    Markku_L- creating your own pdf exporter.

I'd think you'd be better off looking into the API vs. feature script.

With the API, you can take full advantage of the cloud. What I mean is servers talking to servers. Fasten your seat belt, it's going to be a wild ride! There will soon be a day when file based CAD looks just damn silly.

If you want to schedule something on a server, you might want to look into something called 'crontab' which will fire off a routine on a regular time basis. I use it to backup my database on a daily, weekly & monthly time schedule. I do all 3 just in case.

billy2 said:
    Markku_L- creating your own pdf exporter.

I'd think you'd be better off looking into the API vs. feature script.

With the API, you can take full advantage of the cloud. What I mean is servers talking to servers. Fasten your seat belt, it's going to be a wild ride! There will soon be a day when file based CAD looks just damn silly.

If you want to schedule something on a server, you might want to look into something called 'crontab' which will fire off a routine on a regular time basis. I use it to backup my database on a daily, weekly & monthly time schedule. I do all 3 just in case.

Give me some money so I could take some time to learn the script :D (I really would like to learn it)

I think it's better to use events like "drawing is saved" or "drawing is appoved" to trigger exporting, so the work is done immediately. I don't know if these events are available in current script language.

br
    Markku
    www.sloworks.fi
  • claus_jeppesen817claus_jeppesen817 Member Posts: 39 PRO
    How do you edit row height, text height, column width (individually) 
    Sorry if mentioned elsewhere 
  • francois_bouletfrancois_boulet Member Posts: 65 EDU
    Is it possible to format a BOM to fit in a sheet format ?
    La simplicité est la sophistication suprême.
    Léonard de Vinci