Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Every time I visit the onshape website I need to log in again. Is there a "remember me" option?

The first onshape browser tab I connect in Chrome requests login info every time. Can onshape "remember me" when I connect from the same device (laptop)?

Answers

• Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Are you clearing private data on closing of Chrome?  Your browser should have a cookie with your session that should remove the necessity of signing in again until the cookie expires.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 360
    You will need to login again after 4 hours of inactivity. This is an important security feature. We realize that this is more important to some of our users than others. If having this feature is important to you, please open up an Improvement Request in the categories on the right side of the page.
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    dimitris_mertzisdimitris_mertzis Member Posts: 3 PRO
    Thank you for your answers @john_rousseau and @jakeramsley. However inactivity is not the reason since it happens every time I open the first onshape browser tab irrespective of time elapsed. Regarding cookies, every other website works fine so and I do not delete cookies. I do not even close chrome at all. Every time I open the first onshape chrome tab, my credentials are requested.
  • Options
    john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 360
    Hi @dimitris_mertzis. Sorry you are running into this issue. It's not the way it's supposed to work. It's also not the way it works for everyone else. It looks like you are running Chrome on Windows 10, which is a very common configuration. 

Are you running any ad blockers or privacy plugins? Are you signing out of Onshape before you close the tab?

If you can't find a plugin that's causing this, please open a support request from in Onshape via the "?" menu.
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    bendhowardbendhoward Member Posts: 4 PRO

I disagree that frequent automatic logoffs are an important security feature. Does gmail log you off every morning? Please let users make this decision themselves.

• Options
    hunter_reed887hunter_reed887 Member Posts: 3 EDU
    I think the easiest way to bypass this is to set your browser to remember your login info. I do this and it makes logging in much easier
  • Options
    andrew_ward338andrew_ward338 Member Posts: 4
    This is incredibly annoying, and I disagree with the rationale of it being a security feature. At best, it should be a org/account setting

Also, Onshape stops 1Password from being able to enter passwords which means it's not a solution
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,717 PRO
    edited July 2022
    For myself, no one is going to get much data from me by stealing my models. I would love to always be signed in.

On a separate note regarding comment #5:
    Gmail != secure;  // =P

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    romeograhamromeograham Member, csevp Posts: 657 PRO
    @andrew_ward338
    1Password works well for me with Onshape. Both the browser extension and the desktop version (Windows).

For an enterprise security standpoint - it's important to adopt best practices (per @S1mon) and leverage password managers / 2-step verification whereever possible. If the password manager is setup and working well, it's very low-friction, and best-available security (and fits well with your generally-secured life. You should be using the same strategy for your Gmail and Bank logins too!).

I can see how it's a nuisance for those with a computer that is physically secured, but for folks that travel or work on various machines, this security layer makes Onshape usable.
  • Options
    kenn_sebesta167kenn_sebesta167 Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    I, too, am annoyed that OnShape signs me out.

The security argument does not pass muster, esp. because I have a free account and so all my models are public anyway. There are far more people who want to break into a random user's gmail or outlook accounts than OnShape, and those have sane policies which allow me to stay logged in. My password manager, which is far more sensitive, allows me to stay logged in. And then I use that password manager to log into OnShape. If it's safer to aggressively log me out, then it's trivial at best.

If there are CPU reasons, then by all means, log me out. I'm not paying for OnShape, so if I can stretch their dollars that little bit more then I'm happy to periodically click Login.
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    edited July 2022
    Onshape will log you out as soon as you close all of your cad.onshape.com browser tabs, which ends your session.

After that your browser should remember your username and password and auto fill them. So you just need to click the login button. That's the way it has always worked for me. 

If you don't get the prompt from your browser, that means you probably hit the option to 'never remember for this site' the first time you logged in. 
    So you will probably have to dig through your browser security settings and saved passwords and add it there. 
  • Options
    peter_m091peter_m091 Member Posts: 8
    I also find the automatic log out as just an annoyance, as opposed to a real security feature. There are so many other secured apps that have no need for this. It's all about reducing friction, so please remove the 4 hour bump (or at least offer people the option to stay logged in on the same PC)
  • Options
    tony_fernandez233tony_fernandez233 Member Posts: 2
    I think I have a solution for you all, I do this for a work business app and can't see why it would not work for Onshape
    Download, a web page refresh extension for your browser of choice, open a new onshape tab, set the tab to auto refresh every 5 mins or whatever you wish, then pin the tab, so you don't get confused.
    Now you should be able to use Onshape in a separate tab without it timing out.
    I hope this helps!!
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,394
    I think I have a solution for you all, I do this for a work business app and can't see why it would not work for Onshape
    Download, a web page refresh extension for your browser of choice, open a new onshape tab, set the tab to auto refresh every 5 mins or whatever you wish, then pin the tab, so you don't get confused.
    Now you should be able to use Onshape in a separate tab without it timing out.
    I hope this helps!!
    I imagine that would be incredibly annoying if it refreshed when you're in the middle of sketching.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    The time out is not bad anymore. You can click the blue bar at the top of the screen and it will allow you to continue working instantly. Refresh is now a last resort