Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Configurator

billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
Honestly, I didn't start this series of discussions to talk about my triumph.

There's something new on the cloud that I'm interested in and I think Onshape is going to change the rules of the game.

So what's the game?

Configurators, the ability for a website to display some geometry and allow the user to key-in values driving a new part.

Velocity Stacks:

So here's the deal, you build a part with configurations:

From my server, I read in the configuration tables and create web controls for a user to input values. Then you click on build geometry.

From this point, you can download geometry, offer up a purchase form or whatever.

This already exists in a poor form. Take misumi for example, they have a backend generator for their catalog. So what's different? Those systems are extremely expensive to build and maintain. With Onshape, all you need to know is how to make a configuration. Current configurators are expensive and finding engineers to build the rules based models is impossible. This is all about to change.

There's a lot pieces to making this work and if you're interested in this, please drop be an email. There are different ways to implement this and I'm wondering if I have it right.

Comments

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    @3dcad

yeah it's exciting, I'm just trying to figure out how to wire everything up. There's many pieces to this puzzle. What I see as a major improvement over other technologies is the simplicity of building the models, theres a lot of people who know parametric modeling which helps when building out this cloud presentation.

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @billy2
    yep, when I did my research on this back in 2010 ish - the main problem was that I couldn't create models for webgl representation myself. Now that's easy to do or buy. I think we still need assembly configs to get full power for configurator but for single parts it's already good platform.

What do you think of price calculation? I'm not too familiar with Onshape API, how much information can you get out? Price would need obviously material, volume/weight, amount/length of shape, amount of holes etc.. of each part. 

I'm familiar with several programming languages, can you push me to right direction (websource) on how to get into rest api / login process? 
    //rami
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited April 2018
    Sounds like you have a good handle on the problems.

It's been awhile since I signed up for the API.

here's the address:
    https://dev-portal.onshape.com/

make sure you get api-explorer from the api store.