Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

I'm wondering if these features exist

RyanAveryRyanAvery Member Posts: 93 EDU
edited April 2018 in Community Support
Is it possible to save selection of parts? I'm designing cabinets for my outfeed table and I want to select all the toekick boards, and group them into a selection. That way I can show / hide all the toekick boards easily. 

I know that I could just boolean combine them into 1 part and show / hide that, but I want them in individual parts so I know what lengths of boards to cut and how many, etc. 

Is it possible to quickly get a parts list of all parts in my studio? Basically I want something that shows me, for instance, the top / side / front view of each individual part and has 4x or 1x next to it to show me how many of that part I need to build. I know I can use the drawings feature but then I would have to do that for each part, but I want it to be done for me. Is there a plug in for this? 

Is there a way to see if any of my parts are overlapping? Currently, I move the camera around the parts and look for flickering colors to detect any overlapping. 

What is a good way to split a part into smaller pieces? Say you have a picture frame that is all one part, and you want to split it into the 4 parts that would make up a real picture frame, and they would be split at 45 degree angle at the corners. Currently to do this, I would make a sketch that overlaps the part and make all 4 45 degree angles in it, then I would extrude 4 parts from this in both directions for like 500 mm or something big just to make sure it overlaps. Then I would do four subsequent Boolean intersection operations to split my picture frame into 4 parts. 

Is there an option somewhere to make the default behavior of a dialog box default to whatever settings you chose the last time you used that dialog box? For instance, say I'm going to do 20 extrudes in different directions, but all of the same part and for the same distance. I do the first extrude, type in 20mm, then accept. Next time I open extrude, is it possible to have 20mm already in there as the default? 

Is there a way to design custom hotkeys? For example making a hotkey to show / hide all sketches or "hide current selection" hotkey or a "hide all but selection" hotkey? 

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    3dcad said:

- I don't think it's possible to change the defaults yet. This has been discussed at some point but I'm not sure if there's even IR for this.
    IR: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/8946/shift-enter-repeat-function-remember-previous-parameters
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    RyanAvery said:

Is there an option somewhere to make the default behavior of a dialog box default to whatever settings you chose the last time you used that dialog box? For instance, say I'm going to do 20 extrudes in different directions, but all of the same part and for the same distance. I do the first extrude, type in 20mm, then accept. Next time I open extrude, is it possible to have 20mm already in there as the default?
    I don't have anything to add to Rami's excellent reply but these 2 IR's may be of interest:-

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/8946/shift-enter-repeat-function-remember-previous-parameters

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9050/copy-n-paste-features-in-the-feature-tree

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @RyanAvery

To expand on a couple things said here already:
    Is it possible to quickly get a parts list of all parts in my studio? Basically I want something that shows me, for instance, the top / side / front view of each individual part and has 4x or 1x next to it to show me how many of that part I need to build. I know I can use the drawings feature but then I would have to do that for each part, but I want it to be done for me. Is there a plug in for this? 

- Have you checked new Bom feature and OpenBom? I'd suggest to first create assembly  of your part studio and do all part duplicating there to get proper bill of materials. 
    If you end up having parts that are exactly the same, it may end up being worth it to only build once instance in the Part Studio, and insert it multiple times in multiple places in your assembly.  This is what @3dcad means when he says to do all your part duplication in the assembly.  If you build multiple instances of things that match up perfectly in the Part Studio, and then insert them separately into an assembly, they will still show up as separate parts in either our built-in BOM or OpenBOM.

Is there a way to see if any of my parts are overlapping? Currently, I move the camera around the parts and look for flickering colors to detect any overlapping. 
    If you are working in a Part Studio, you can do a Boolean Intersection between two parts that which you are concerned about overlaps.  If there is any material left over after the intersection, it is an overlap.
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/booleanparts.htm

If you are doing a bunch of extrudes that match each other, you may be interested in the Variable feature:
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/variable.htm
    This would allow you to set 20mm once, and then reference that number in all your extrude features.  If you then decide to change the 20 to a 30, you only have to change it in one place, and all the extrudes will follow.

You may also be interested in using Face or Feature option of Linear, Circular, and Curve pattern to make patterns of extrusions on a part.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    ..  If you build multiple instances of things that match up perfectly in the Part Studio, and then insert them separately into an assembly, they will still show up as separate parts in either our built-in BOM or OpenBOM.
    OpenBOM has feature to combine parts with same name - I'd still suggest to create assembly instances rather than part copies.
    //rami
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Thanks for clarifying Rami!
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    :+1:

//rami
  • Options
    edited April 2018

If you are doing a bunch of extrudes that match each other, you may be interested in the Variable feature:
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/variable.htm
    This would allow you to set 20mm once, and then reference that number in all your extrude features.  If you then decide to change the 20 to a 30, you only have to change it in one place, and all the extrudes will follow.

You may also be interested in using Face or Feature option of Linear, Circular, and Curve pattern to make patterns of extrusions on a part.
    Yes I agree, so say that I am about to do 20 different extrudes of the same distance (each extrude is on a different plane, however). So now I select the surface, shift + e to bring up extrude, then I have to click into the distance box, paste the name of the variable, then hit enter. Then I select a different surface, shift e, click distance box, paste name of variable. (because the default "1 inch" distance will show up in the distance box by default. What I was wondering if there was a way to make the default not be "1 inch" but instead "#varaibleThatWasUsedLast" because 100% of the time "1 inch" is not the extrude distance I will ever use, but 10% of the time "#varaibleThatWasLastUsed" is the correct distance, and I could just do shift + e and then hit enter. 
  • Options

If you are working in a Part Studio, you can do a Boolean Intersection between two parts that which you are concerned about overlaps.  If there is any material left over after the intersection, it is an overlap.
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/booleanparts.htm

Say I want to check any overlaps between 100 parts. I would have to do 100 different boolean operations to find all possible overlaps. If I just select all 100 parts and do boolean intersection, this would only leave me with places where all 100 parts overlapped at the same place (which is not likely to exist or help)
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited April 2018
    Another less precise way is to go into section view and sweep down your model, anything intersecting will show up red.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    @RyanAvery

I actually just found this custom feature I wrote a while ago that executes all the selected extrudes separately:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/cf2ebd36a36695408b9650a9/w/8e89a7bc10431e16fe2fceb7/e/859f48de91ab85a402b96e0c

I don't actively support it and it doesn't have any manipulators because of a weird selection bug, but maybe it'll be helpful for you.  It should do extrusions for every selection in reference to their own sketch plane.

To add it to your toolbar just press the "+" in the toolbar pane when you are visiting the document.
  • Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    RyanAvery said:

Maybe you can try with Thicken instead of extrude ;-)

Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    You will also improve your performance ;-)

Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    @RyanAvery

Here is a custom feature I threw together for detecting part overlaps:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4ef9d7bf5c04de6c159e6fb0/w/50103cbdb65f20d04d6f68f1/e/e4e11c6e5f2327384ab0fe86

YMMV; it'll probably get pretty slow for part studios with many parts (Its time complexity is O(number of parts^2)).
  • Options
    Nice. Great tool!! 
    Un saludo,

• Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @RyanAvery

Here is a custom feature I threw together for detecting part overlaps:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4ef9d7bf5c04de6c159e6fb0/w/50103cbdb65f20d04d6f68f1/e/e4e11c6e5f2327384ab0fe86

YMMV; it'll probably get pretty slow for part studios with many parts (Its time complexity is O(number of parts^2)).
    @Jake_Rosenfeld
    @Ryan_Avery

I have extended that custom feature and you can now trim the parts to not intersect
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/be4d0a14bee7c3ec752a6fea/
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    @mbartlett21 great improvement
    Un saludo,

• Options
    Thanks @mbartlett21!

I avoided doing that because the only way I envisioned it was to cut from both the parts.  Nice solution with the extra selection box!
  • Options
    @mbartlett21

I'm wondering what the desired behavior here is when two intersecting parts are both selected into "Trim parts".  As of now, your code creates a void by subtracting the intersection from both the parts.  Is this desired, or would the user rather the system have some way of picking only one to subtract from?