Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Implementing Snell's Law in a sketch

mac_frolic077mac_frolic077 Member Posts: 2
Hi

I wonder if there is a way to define a constraint between lines that represent the law of refraction?

i.e. I have a line with a point that represents the border of two mediums (air and glass). I want to draw a line that represents a ray of light that hits the surface in a certain angle. and I want to draw a line that represents the ray refracted inside the medium.

something like this:

https://www.geogebra.org/m/WnaEUHzW

I also want to be able to extend it to see how the refraction of a prism would influence the path of a ray.

in terms of the above example (after the link) angle phi is a function of angle alpha and the refraction-index of the two materials.

so what I am looking for is a constraint that can be defined by a function.

I know there is featurescript, but I have no experience with it. if this scripting language can help me with this problem, I would be glad if somebody can point me in the right direction, i.e. a script that can do something similar.

cheers

martin

Comments