Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Feature script beams butt joint

bill_de_la_vegabill_de_la_vega Member Posts: 20 EDU
I created a beam profile for 1-5/8 inch Unistrut.  I'm trying to trim the butt joints but no matter which direction I choose for the vertex of the butt joint, it does not seem to trim the beams correctly.

I tried using Boolean subtract, but that did not work either.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/865c20a35eb4b7134ecbabb5/w/42b70eca336e90614e8b0cac/e/99e26040134305c6f34c80ba

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    How should it look? I think there is too much going on there for the beam algorithm to fathom out. You may have to create them in 2 separate beam features. However the rolled edge does not give you a face to trim up to. You may have to edit the profile to add a small flat face mid-way through the hem. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • bill_de_la_vegabill_de_la_vega Member Posts: 20 EDU
    edited May 2018
    I apologize I should have shown how it's supposed to go.  I made an assembly showing this in the document.

I looked at the profile there is a small flat already there.
  • bigrogfbigrogf Member Posts: 10
    I guess that you fixed it, but wouldn't they normally be a mitre joint anyway?
    I apologize I should have shown how it's supposed to go.  I made an assembly showing this in the document.

• bill_de_la_vegabill_de_la_vega Member Posts: 20 EDU
    bigrogf said:
    I guess that you fixed it, but wouldn't they normally be a mitre joint anyway?

No, not in this case.  The beams are called uni-strut and are designed to be held together with 90° clamps and hardware.  They are not usually welded.