Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Measuring parts rather slow

dan_engererdan_engerer Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
Hi. Just some general feedback here. In Onshape, when you select a line or two planes, etc. to measure, it often takes 5+ seconds for the measurement to show up in the lower RH corner. Shouldn't take that long. Thanks. 

Comments

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @dan_engerer - should only take a fraction of a second (just tested it).
    How is the performance in other areas when this is taking 5+ seconds?
    Please hit Ctrl-D to bring up the performance panel - what is your ping time (steady state, not doing anything)?

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    PS are generally pretty good but I find assembly terrible after first loading, 5+ second sound like what I will be seeing frequently, which I can accept on big assemblies on loading but sometime I click and click and click then refresh the whole browser just to get a measurement from an assembly. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    robert_morrisrobert_morris OS Professional, Developers Posts: 166 PRO
    I will get this occasionally as well.
    It will take a while to show up and sometimes will only show the result of one of the mouse clicks. For example, I will click on two faces to get the distance and after a few seconds it will just show me the area of one face.
  • Options
    dan_engererdan_engerer Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    The above 2 comments are exactly my experience as well. 
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    edited May 2018
    It depends on what is in your assembly, I've had some assemblies take over 2 minutes to allow me to measure, and it was only calculating the first input, so I had to un-select the second point, then wait for it to calculate again, then select the second point, wait more. (once the document slows down like this all bets are off though.. internal errors are corrupting something, hoping a few updates address all the sheet-metal performance issues)

It feels to me like it is rebuilding the entire chain of part studios/assemblies before giving an output, rather than just fixed points in the current 3D space. This happens more often with sheet-metal
  • Options
    malay_kumarmalay_kumar Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 93
    Thanks for this discussion. We are actively working on performance and would like these performance issues to be improved. Can 1-2 of you guys report reproducible cases of this through feedback tool and share the model? We are aware of few inefficiencies for example first measurement on any part in assembly will be slow, measurement involving configured parts will be slow. But slowness is relative so it will be nice to exactly understand what is going on in cases that you are running into.
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Already have over the last few weeks with lou, he has helped alot to get me thru my progects. But sheet metal definatly needs focus.
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited May 2018
    Thanks for listening @malay_kumar, I'll try and make a report with a quick video next time I see this issue. The face issues mention above sounds familiar, I want a distance between 2 faces, or a face and a point in an assembly and all I can invoke is an area. Sometimes I just have to give up and get it is from a part studio or refresh and come back and have another go later, but it's hard to put my finger on why or when this happens. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    I too have experienced this. I didn't know if it was an OS issue, or my end.  Closing and re-opening the browser always fixes it for me.  Also whilst we on the subject exporting to STL sometimes doesn't do anything from an assembly but switching to the part studio always works.

Cheers Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd