Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Adding "freehand" notes and marks on part studios and assemblies.

mormor Member Posts: 10 PRO

Currently I’m using OnShape on some Feasibility Study project.

At this type of work my workflow is somewhat untidy - unreleased parts, drawings, tabs and documents, as well as lots of blue lines and leftovers hanging around – to be taken care of “sometime on the real thing”.

At this time, when tolerances anf surface finish are not yet in the game -  I badly need the ability to scratch notes and marks – Pointers, Reminders, pitfalls wornings, hidden logic explanations  - almost everywhere – on sketches, parts and assemblies - Just like in any case of “first timer” design (or many other documented activities).

Can OnSape consider supporting such an unorthodox way of work?

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    Have you tried adding comments? You can select geometry, right click and choose “add comment” and the comment will be tagged to that geometry. Not exactly what you are asking for but a good substitute. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    pmdpmd Member, Developers Posts: 63 PRO
    I would also like this ability (I have already sent several feedbacks on the subject). 

@NeilCooke one of the problem with using comments is they get emailed to anyone the doc has been shared with and design notes are not something want to be emailing customer or co-workers everytime one is added.
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @pmd

A workaround for now:

Your  coworkers could turn off "receive comment email notifications" for the document in question.  I think it is off by default actually.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Comments need work.  I really want to have the ability to upload pictures to comments, ideally from the phone app. An example would be a product on the factory floor and upload a photo straight to comments inside for the engineer to review at their leisure. 

Could usersnap from the feedback tool somehow be incorporated? However I am sure there could be a better mark up, redline for solidworks comes to mind but I have never used it

ATM I regularly screenshot the phone app using and use the markup tool in iOS, quick and easy but then I have to message outside of onshape.  

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    mormor Member Posts: 10 PRO

In my comment I had in mind the following representative scenario:

·       OnShape screen that includes an assembly with 5-15 Model elements representing parts/subassemblies + 1-3 sketches on the background, in the 3 basic ref planes – right, front top (“in context” type view).

·       About 5-10 framed notes, scattered around the scene, with readable letter size (say 9-12 “word” sized equivalent), each with 10-20 words and arrow/dot pointes to specific locations of the model. All with basic manipulations capability.

·       Very basic hand-lined shapes (rectangle, ellipse) encircling the required elements on the screen to be pointed by the pointers above.

Basically – such a screen shot type is not supposed to reach production people - it’s relevant time is still months or years ahead of production or even drawings release.
    It is meant for the preliminary architecture configuration designer and his experts colleagues.