Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sketch Blocks

malcolm_smith_1malcolm_smith_1 Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
In Autodesk Inventor there is a handy feature called sketch blocks, whereby you can save a part or all of a sketch as a 'block' (AutoCAD style) and later insert it into the same or other sketches within the part you are modelling. This is very handy if you are making, say, a frame with steel sections as the blocks are very easy to locate orient whichever way you like, whist retaining the original section geometry. How would you go about doing this in Onshape? Is there a 'sketch block' method or anything similar?

Comments

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited May 2018
    I would create a document with a series of sketches in a part studio. I'd try constraints to reference only the bits I want to block out. Then just load this doc and RMB copy to get the bits/block of sketch detail to be used and RMB paste in the new doc. 

here's an example dochttps://cad.onshape.com/documents/0a355a367a4941eca0d90a0f/w/3d4fdaaf6b77419db7fa309b/e/8b85f21654054aa4bffb82ac
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    Thanks Bruce, I just had a quick look at that document. The problem is the same as it is in Inventor if you don't use sketch blocks. The sketches are constrained, as they should be, so when you copy and paste them, you can't re-orient them (as far as I know) without a lot of effort, by either changing the local co-ordinate system or by breaking the constraints. With sketch blocks, the block has a single insert point which can be located anywhere and you can freely rotate the block before constraining it in the required position and orientation.
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @malcolm_smith_1, there's nothing dictating that you have to fully constrain your sketch entities. Add just enough constraints to keep the block entities together. Don't use any horizontal or vertical constraints which would keep you from rotating the block later. Hopefully, OS gets real sketch block support at some point.
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    The sketches are constrained, as they should be, so when you copy and paste them, you can't re-orient them (as far as I know) without a lot of effort, by either changing the local co-ordinate system or by breaking the constraints. 
    Generally, the sketches in that doc have been done so you get all the constraints if copy all the parts and then just position and orientate in your new doc with 2 additional constraints. It works ok for me. 
    H
  • Options
    I'm not sure yet how Onshape deals with copied sketches, but one of the differences/advantages of using sketch blocks is that they are inserted as instances, so any change made to the original sketch is made to all of the inserted blocks. Generally, copies are independent of each other so updating one does not affect the copies.
  • Options
    I'm not sure yet how Onshape deals with copied sketches, but one of the differences/advantages of using sketch blocks is that they are inserted as instances, so any change made to the original sketch is made to all of the inserted blocks. Generally, copies are independent of each other so updating one does not affect the copies.
    Yes, copies are independent, so there is no ability to update from the original.
  • Options
    michael_richards609michael_richards609 Member Posts: 1 PRO
    +1 for sketch blocks
  • Options
    Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 410 PRO
    edited June 2022
    I do it this way: I have created some sketch blocks that I use over and over again (partstudio saved with only the sketch I want) Then in another document I use the Point Derive feature from @Alex_Kempen . This allows you to load sketches and parts from other documents into a partstudio.

This works great! If you want to have an explanation video I can create one for you.

I have asked the same question before. Perhaps you can read through the contribution times:

Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • Options
    toshana_jamestoshana_james Member Posts: 3
    sketch blocks are needed for rapid problem solving where you do not want to sit and constrain everything and eyeball a sketch group or freeze it relative to each selected entity so as to manipulate it as you like within the same sketch, this is a powerful functionality that can really aid the rapid conception phase, please consider adding this. 
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    I would love sketch blocks too, but keep in mind you can create a bunch of unconstrained sketches in a part studio (or studios) and insert them into an assembly where you can add mates if you want.
  • Options
    The thing with sketch blocks is that they can be used as multiple instances within a single sketch, just like blocks in an AutoCAD drawing. Say you have a single sketch with multiple structural sections in it as blocks. If you edit the block and change the size of the section, they all update. This is very handy for conceptual work. It's a bit hard to explain just how useful this is. It's quick and easy.
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    @malcolm_smith_1

I completely understand. I used sketch blocks for years in Solidworks. I would love to see them in Onshape.

Depending on your end goal, for now, you can assemble a ton of sketches into an assembly and move them around. You can modify the dimensions back in the part studio and the assembly will update. It's more awkward than in a sketcher because of the effort of the context switching, but many of the things you're talking about are possible now.
  • Options
    Absolutely, you don't 'need' sketch blocks, but it's a good workflow.