Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Onshape speed issue?

dan_engererdan_engerer Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
edited May 2018 in Community Support
Just tossing this out as general feedback in hopes that other users can verify my experience. 

I seem to be having Onshape speed issues. Sometimes Onshape is fine, and other times it is REALLY slow. Like right now, I'm modifying simple features and they take 1+ minute to update. Totally kills productivity. 

Speed with Onshape is hit and miss. All the usual disclaimers: I have fast internet, great computer, etc.

I fully expect that when support goes in, everything will load instantly and they won't be able to re-create the problem.

"Looks fine to me!" That's the type of reply I always get from support. 

Aside from general slowness, I also experience "loading animation constantly playing". All I have to do is hide a part, and I get the loading icon for a good 30 seconds. Granted, I am working on complex parts/assemblies, but hide/show should be more or less instant. The actual act of hiding/showing the part is relatively fast, but the loading icon remains for a long time. This can be confusing when you're trying to work fast, because a feature may well have updated, but the icon continues to spin. Alternatively, the feature actually will take forever to load, and the icon continues to spin. The result is not knowing whether your feature has updated or not because the spinning icon remains regardless. 

Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Use the feedback tool and grant acess to support.

This happened to me on a few documents and they need to see what causes the hangups in order to create a bug fix.

Most of the time for me it is between sheet-metal + configurations that kills performance right now.
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    That's my experience ATM! Minor complexity seems to ground things to a halt. I am stick to death of watching that spinning circle (the small one down the bottom) and not know what's wrong as hours mount up on projects I can't bill out!  

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    dan_engererdan_engerer Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    That's my experience ATM! Minor complexity seems to ground things to a halt. I am stick to death of watching that spinning circle (the small one down the bottom) and not know what's wrong as hours mount up on projects I can't bill out!  

Yeah, I conclude that Onshape is experiencing some kind of issue. I can't even load properties or other simple, zero-computational-power features. Every other website is working great for me currently. 
  • Options
    john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 359
    @dan_engerer - we are looking into this now. Sorry for the hassle.
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 359
    @dan_engerer - we just made an internal change to your document. We are looking at the logs to see if it improved anything, but let us know what you are seeing too.
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.