Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Hard time figuring out how to use assemblies

2»

Answers

• Options
    nyholkunyholku Member Posts: 58 PRO
    @owen_sparks

Thanks, very helpful, I successfully now added wheel nuts:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d5856c3fa277dc14820dc2dd/w/540231f4af5f086968fcd2f2/e/12ca6c09f4551abb109bdd81

Ok, this is workable. Still a bit more work than what I would have expected:

If I do not use the group mate after inserting the nuts into the wheel assembly they are allover the place in the main assembly.

If I remove the nuts from the group mate and drag one of them around the main assembly is not updated. Is this a bug? But if I re-apply the mate then the changes as carried over ... not very consistent  or intuitive.

If I re-arrange/move stuff in the parts studio then the changes are not carried over, I suppose I have to delete them from the sub assembly, re-insert and re-group? Kind of lot of work...

But mods to parts are automatically carried over ...  not very consistent or intuitive.

@philip_thomas

Yes I'm PRO (standard) since two weeks ... but it appears this forum login is attached to my private email ... must have created this back when OS was young and I had some hopes to use it for some private (but non paying) stuff. I've sent a contact request to remedy the situation ... or I just abandon this log in and create a new proper forum login with the correct info.

• Options
    nyholkunyholku Member Posts: 58 PRO
    Ok, got my user name and stuff sorted, so I was kustaa_2 from now on known as nyholku 
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU

(1) One thing that has become clear from this thread is that people are often unaware that you can drop things into an assembly in their native position / orientation by not clicking in the screen and instead just accepting the insert as soon as the part is selected from the list.

I use this all the time, in fact, I regularly use a workflow where I drop a use a new dummy part of an existing part into an assembly, fix the dummy part in is the native original position, mate an out of position part to the dummy and then delete the dummy. I would like the ability to be able to move any part to its original modeled position after being moved but never found a way to do this. 
    @brucebartlett
     Maybe parts should come in with the part studio's origin?
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,015 PRO
    OS is different and assemblies do work. Simpler assemblies are harder to understand but once your assemblies grow in size, things begin to make more sense. Once you get to the point were you're assembling with documents, then you're almost there.

I'd take Phillip up on his offer and have him work with you on some basic pointers. Go through the training classes that they've put together and keep an open mind. 

I'm not going to try and justify no assembly planes, but there are work arounds.