Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

importing dxf- file into drawing for creating an template

matthias_ramaekersmatthias_ramaekers Member Posts: 3 EDU
I found this video for importing my drawing template (dxf-file) into a drawing. 
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbN3CBIaU_A)

If i insert my dxf template i get nothing. I get a white drawing. I need to get the template from my school to work on.
I have read about model space and paper space, but i don't know how to fix the space of the schools template.

sincere thanks

Comments

• PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 518
    edited May 2017
    @matthias_ramaekers  In DWG/DXF files there are two fundamental spaces... Model space and paper space.  For the insert DWG/DXF command in drawing the data needs to be in model space.  You can open up your school's template (DXF it sounds like for you) in a local DWG editor (ARES, Draftsight, etc...), and copy everything from paper space into model space.  Then save and re-upload to Onshape.  Next follow the directions from our help here:

https://cad.onshape.com/help/#templates-custom.htm?Highlight=custom template, paying attention to the following section:

Using traditional CAD drawings as templates in Onshape

Create an Onshape drawing template..

In Onshape, create an empty drawing:

1. At the template step, select Custom Template.
    2. Select Do not include the borders.
    3. Select Do not include the title block.
      1. Set size, standard, and other characteristics as needed.
    4. Click OK and close the open dialogs in the drawing.
    5. Import your exported traditional CAD drawing (in DWG/DXF format) into Onshape (through the  menu > Import).
    6. Open the empty drawing you created.
    7. Use Insert DWG/DXF  tool to insert the file just uploaded.
    8. To tweak the fonts, select the text and change the font to an internally supported font of your choice.

1. To add Revision Table or Block functions:
        1. Generate a drawing using the newly uploaded DWG/DXF.
        2. Place a table where needed (for example, the upper right corner).
      2. To include a company logo in the drawing template:
        1. Upload the logo through the Insert Image command.
        2. Insert the newly uploaded image, properly place and size it in the drawing.
      3. Insert drawing fields as necessary in the appropriate areas of your drawing:
        1. Add a note to the drawing.
        2. Select the Insert field button.
        3. Use the Move to command on the View’s context menu (right-click) to add elements to: Title block, Border frame, and Border zones.

Elements will be added to the corresponding layer: title block, border frame, or border zones.

1. Export the drawing as a DWT.
    2. Upload the new DWT into an Onshape document (company-owned is preferred).
    3. Test the drawing template before using.
  • BLeeVNBLeeVN Member Posts: 18 PRO
    I had tried importing DXF and DWG from SolidWorks Draftsight but this did not work in Onshape, is it an error with my file or is there something unique with Draftsight DXF/DWG Files that cannot be imported into Onshape?
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    blee said:
    I had tried importing DXF and DWG from SolidWorks Draftsight but this did not work in Onshape, is it an error with my file or is there something unique with Draftsight DXF/DWG Files that cannot be imported into Onshape?
    It has to be a .dwt file (autocad template).  
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited July 2018
    @blee I've just created OS borders using imported DWG's. I think this thread has some old information in it which might make this confusing. In the past, OS couldn't create the DWT file needed for templates and another program had to be used. That's no longer the case.

Importing borders from SW:
    -export DWG file of the border from SW
    -import DWG into OS document 
    -create blank OS drawing
    -insert DWG into OS drawing by inserting DWG in blank OS drawing
    -export OS drawing into DWT format
    -when creating a new drawing, click 'Created by me', and choose DWT 

It works well once you figure it all out. One thing that should be noted, you don't need any other programs to create the DWT. All can be done inside OS now.

Also, the DWT's are searched for when creating a new drawing. But you have to find them. I found them under the 'created be me' option when creating a new OS drawing and it's asking for a template.

From draftsight, you have to export DWG or DXF
    Inside OS you import either of these
    Create a blank OS drawing
    Insert DWG or DXF into blank OS drawing
    Export this OS drawing as a DWT
    Select this DWT when creating a new OS drawing

If draftsight won't export DWG or DXF. I don't know what you do.