Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Can I put dashed lines on a drawing?

john_P37john_P37 Member Posts: 25 PRO
I am making a drawing of a simple rectangular window.   Typically, the optical properties of this window are only specified in a sub-region, specified by a dashed line rectangle. This rectangle sits inside the actual physical rectangle of the part.   Is there a way to show this dashed line rectangle in a drawing?  Here is a picture of what I want to do, see below.  Thanks for your time.                   I can think of a workaround involving a feature on the back side, but that is messy, and each side has it's own clear aperture.
John  

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 519
    @john_P37 You can create a sketch on the part in the part studio and make those lines construction lines in the sketch.  From the drawing, Right click on the view and select "Show/Hide sketches..." and pick the sketch from the list.  
  • Options
    john_P37john_P37 Member Posts: 25 PRO
    Follow up to sketch lines on a part. I accepted the answer, but then quickly ran across this issue:

If the sketch is on a face that is shown in an auxiliary view, you can't show the sketch.  So for a simple triangular wedge part, say a 45-90-45 degree prism, and the sketch is on the hypotenuse face, you are not allowed the option of showing sketches on this face. 

Thanks for any comments,   John

Sample file below:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/176599d7c4dbeb65ef8402a6/w/06be5ce2e3cfca8b188ef4f5/e/392a7be78dae4eb17ebc6abf
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    edited July 2018
    It appears the option just isn't available for auxiliary Views or Section Views (practically the same thing).
    It appears to work on all other types shown below

Side note: The sketch did appear on the preview graphic before placing the section view, but then disappeared once I placed the view.
    I tried offsetting the sketch plane with the circle deeper into the part, and it still does not show.

If this is a bug, please add me to the ticket as well, It hasn't come up with my Onshape projects yet. But I know some of the solidworks projects I'm fighting to move over to Onshape will require this.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/28050bca2b1ddeb0acbab720/w/72369ffa7faabbf84de28ab1/e/f86c2c0f5e11b4f730f5581c

• Options
    fyorgefyorge Member Posts: 17 PRO
    Hello.  I'm feeling a bit frustrated by this.  I was trying to follow the suggested method here, but then I discovered that this only works for parts, not assemblies.  I want to simply draw a box to bring attention to an area on the assembly, and I'd like to have the box drawn with dotted lines, so as not to be confused with the actual line drawing.  The fact that one cannot manually add lines with at least some form of dotted, dashed, etc., characteristic seems incredibly inept to me.  Yes, work on getting the tools to be smart and do this the "right", and while you're doing that, leave me some decent dumb tools that can allow me to pick up the slack.

If there's something that I'm missing, I'd be delighted to be informed.
  • Options
    chadstoltzfuschadstoltzfus Member, Developers, csevp Posts: 131 PRO
    In order to get it to work for assemblies you will need to bring the sketch into the assembly, then bring it into the drawing, then right click on the view, hover over "Show/hide," then select "Show sketches." I agree, it's definitely not the way I would envision is the best way to create lines in a drawing, I hope that some more annotating tools are added to drawings in the future.
    Applications Developer at Premier Custom Built
    chadstoltzfus@premiercb.com