Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Improvements to Onshape - August 1st, 2018

2»

Comments

• Options
    jackson_kingjackson_king OS Professional Posts: 80 PRO
    edited August 2018
    I forgot before to mention that it is so nice that the people who make Onshape, Onshape, listen to our feedback and implement suggestions as they see fit.  That allows me to feel connected with the program as it feels as if it was designed for me;)
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Just read the thread @Don_Van_Zile linked to.  Oh my!  How quickly I have forgotten the old headaches......

Now it's just:
    (1) did my computer turn on? YES!
    Or better still "Does any computer I wander up to anywhere in my company, or at home, or anywhere on the planet turn on and run chrome". 

As for the drawings I really hope there isn't a huge effort going into coding them just for drawing to be made obsolete, hopefully in the next couple of years.  Modeling something in 3D, to convert it to 2D so the company making the actual 3D parts can turn them back into 3D is going to look soooooooo silly sooner rather than later.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    AuroraRonAuroraRon Member Posts: 120 PRO
    How on earth can we not export in IOS a PDF drawing yet?  All this work to export files but not a drawing. It's amazing it took this long and even more so that we still have to do a screen capture to save a drawing and use another app to sketch some note on it.  

• Options
    Simple parts, speed may have improved. Complex parts its never been so bad.  I work with engines and have to keep stripping parts off assemblies to get anything to load.  Tried different operating systems, browsers, and internet connections, nothing works.  Today I waited 10 minutes and just gave up. 

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    only 10 minutes? It took us 2 hours to export a PDF in solidworks today  ;)

Have you tried reducing the tessellation quality on parts that don't require it?
    Can you simplify some parts in your assembly?
    Have you used the feedback tool to ask for help from the support team?
  • Options
    10 Minutes for the PDF that was already created to reload so I can see it and print it.  If I want to add a dimension I have to move the mouse over the point and wait.  Click on anything and wait some more. Its a resource issue, they have played with it before.   If I can't load what used to load before and the browsers keep telling showing message that there is no response from the server, I have no chance to change anything.    I have had enough support tickets on these issues, its not new to them.    Yes its better than solidworks in many respects and for that I support Onshape but when issues like this keep showing up, one can only put up with it for so long. 
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @AuroraRon
    How good is your internet? 

mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    Internet is fine.  I use it at a business, home and on cellular LTE. Tried other locations also.   It seems to be resources and they can turn it up or down.  They have done it before.  Now I see someone working on it and its way up there in speed. You can also in google chrome watch network activity and see what hangs for example. Its not on this end.    One thing that was suggested is to make versions of assemblies, it will load faster and that seems to be true.   Just cant do this when importing an assembly and its an engine for example.     

Would be helpful to have some information like this.    Will try and split up work into different documents.  I have a lot of tabs but, how can you get around that? 
  • Options
    jackson_kingjackson_king OS Professional Posts: 80 PRO
    edited August 2018
    @AuroraRon

You can create a version of the document and then tell your top level sub-assemblies to be set to that version.  I can attest to the increase in performance.  Last fall I was working on a large project, top level assembly was about 65 feet long, it had very long load times and by versioning the top level assembly it drastically reduced load times and click performance.

If you are importing engine models, it may be worth the time to create those subassemblies.  You can also version individual parts in those assemblies.  It seems to help with Onshape loading times when you give a version for it to point to 
  • Options
    Sounds like some great information thank you.  Trouble is, I can't even load it do try this.  

Loading Studio Data

It just keeps on spinning for ten minutes with virtually no network activity.   
  • Options
    Cache_River_MillCache_River_Mill Member Posts: 225 PRO
    Thank you!
  • Options
    Support ticket answered.  Sorry for the performance hit and the same suggestion about versioning.  Looks like a normal thing for complex drawings.  As a person who knew absolutely zero about CAD two years ago, I somehow advanced to the level of being too complex in my drawings for Onshape.  Well I guess I should be saying thank you?   Perhaps it is time to address performance issues, limitations and how to work with what the limitation are rather than turn happy customers into angry ones.   

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    With great complexity comes great responsibility
  • Options
    nick_lumbnick_lumb Member Posts: 25 PRO
    My favourite improvement this time is moving multiple features at once :-) 

This means I am even more excited about a future that includes folders in the feature tree!  Given that we really need keyboard control of the rollback bar, what keys would work for <up>, <down>, <top of tree>, <end of tree>, <over closed folder>, <into closed folder>?  Or do we forget the last two and use the mouse to open and close folders as needed?
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    nick_lumb said:

This means I am even more excited about a future that includes folders in the feature tree!  Given that we really need keyboard control of the rollback bar, what keys would work for <up>, <down>, <top of tree>, <end of tree>, <over closed folder>, <into closed folder>?  Or do we forget the last two and use the mouse to open and close folders as needed?
    Cursor keys for up down one line and "Alt" cursor for top / end and shift cursor to "shift" into folder?

OwS.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    nick_lumb said:

Cursor keys for up down one line and "Alt" cursor for top / end and shift cursor to "shift" into folder?

OwS.
    Maybe use the Home and End buttons to go to the top and bottom.

I'd also rather use Page Up/Down for navigating the feature tree
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    nick_lumb said:

This means I am even more excited about a future that includes folders in the feature tree!  
    I can't say I am over excited about folders in the feature tree. I definitely want them in the assembly tree and for mates.  But I can only see folders in the feature tree adding more complexity as you try to order features, the folder would almost have to be feature dependent, so as drag it in the tree in the internal features are all reordered as if no folder were present, therefore you could not just randomly place any feature in a folder but only features in a
    sequence.  
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    Don_Van_ZileDon_Van_Zile Member Posts: 195 PRO
    I have wished for folders in assemblies for quite some time now.  Another thing on the old wish list is to have some way of knowing if the feature tree contains errors. Maybe a red feature list count or something. 
    I couldn't agree more on both comments! :smiley:
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I have wished for folders in assemblies for quite some time now.  Another thing on the old wish list is to have some way of knowing if the feature tree contains errors. Maybe a red feature list count or something. 
    I absolutely agree folders in assemblies has been on my wishlist too.

Another longtime wish for assemblies is a tree search tool. 

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    The comments related to "Folders" use in a Part Studios and Assemblies is interesting, however, it would be better if it continued in a separate discussion thread.

Suggestion: Please start the thread with a clear description of what the issues are that precipitated folders being suggested as a solution. I think I know what the issues are, but I would like to see some clear consensus from the masses.

Given my understanding of what the issues are I do not see folders as an optimal solution. I would like to know more.     
  • Options
    Don_Van_ZileDon_Van_Zile Member Posts: 195 PRO
    edited August 2018
    @StephenG
    I agree that mate connectors need improvement (to be as useful as a general coordinate system) and we're working on it, but are you saying you'd rather us not have shipped "Mate Connector As Axis" until we've implemented other improvements?  I'm not sure what would be gained by that.  In any case, the ability to use a mate connector to establish a sketch is coming soon.
    @StephenG I definitely see the groundwork being made towards this (Coordinate System/Mate Connector ) more and more and the quote above from @ilya_baran (what's in a name)

I've been slowly but surely going through all of the Learning Path Center training and tutorials etc... Below is another example of using the Mate Connector as an origin definition for In-Context creation of new Part Studio.