Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Laser Joint updated to V4.0: Fixed width pins, corner overcut fillets, and pin fillets!

lemon1324lemon1324 Member, Developers Posts: 223 EDU

Direct link to the new version here.

Instead of calculating equal pin/gap dimensions, there is now an option to define a specific pin width.  This option is only available when in the single joint operation mode.

In addition to the option to chamfer convex pin edges to aid insertion, these features can now alternatively be fillets.

There is a new option to fillet sharp corners created by corner overcuts.

(features as suggested by @marcus_jonsson, @brucebartlett)

As always, no bugs found on my test cases, but if you find any, send me a link to a public document with a minimum example demonstrating the problem and I'll look into it as I get time.

I still haven't had time to look into adding sheet metal compatibility.
Arul Suresh
PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University

Comments

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @lemon1324

Would you be able to use sheet metal compatibility by using the BooleanBodies() feature because it is compatible with sheet metal?
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    I think sheetMetalTab feature will be helpful in adapting this functionality for sheet metal use.
  • marcus_jonssonmarcus_jonsson Member Posts: 4 PRO
    Thank you @lemon1324
    I did find one bug, think it did exist in previous versions also. Pin face offset feature also offsets all other existing holes in the parts.

To replicate: Extrude a 10 mm hole in a part, use laser joint on the part with 1 mm pin face offset. The hole is now 12 mm.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    lana said:
    I think sheetMetalTab feature will be helpful in adapting this functionality for sheet metal use.
    I find the sheet metal tab works with ease for adding these style clip in tabs but miss the auto features for sizing and corners treatments.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • lemon1324lemon1324 Member, Developers Posts: 223 EDU
    @marcus_jonsson, just pushed V4.1 which should fix that issue.

@mbartlett21 yeah, I don't imagine that part would be too bad, since most of it uses booleans anyway.  It's mostly that I haven't done any sheet metal scripting yet, and there's a lot of refactoring from opBoolean to booleanBodies that would need to happen.  I'm sure sheetMetalTab would be helpful as well, but depending on how sketch-tab-pattern compares to the current primitive-pattern-boolean, that might mean a performance hit.

I'm more concerned with the fact that a core assumption of the feature is that both parts are planar, and I assume the joint axis is given by the cross product of the largest face's normal from either part.  I also assume that once I've found a joint axis, all joints between those two parts occur along the same axis.  Neither of these assumptions are likely to be true with sheet metal parts, since the whole point of making it a sheet metal part is to add bends. 

I'm not sure when I'll have time to really dig into figuring out how to refactor everything to keep current functionality while adding sheet metal, the last version and bugfix have been pretty easy since they were nearly already there in terms of existing code.
    Arul Suresh
    @lemon1324

I think it would be better to only boolean the bodies at the end because, each time you do something to a sheet metal model, it recalculates the flat pattern.
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • glib_kotelnytskyyglib_kotelnytskyy Member Posts: 23
    @lemon1324, thank you for the amazing tool that this feature is!

I'm using it in my project https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d00ceaba15e3ae5795e20cc8/w/ae8f127e4624154d6ac645ae/e/df3660a165963528ba859614

But It seems that the solids created from the feature have some fault -- when I try to union them (to feed the model to simulator) - I get the error https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/37106#Comment_37106
    Arul Suresh
  • glib_kotelnytskyyglib_kotelnytskyy Member Posts: 23
    edited March 2018
    @lemon1324, is it possible to use your FeatureScript to create a "sliding" joint, like this: IMG_5562
    i.e. single cutout.

I tried playing with edge offset, but it always creates symmetrical pins.
    @glib_kotelnytskyy check out the Lap Joint feature for that; I'm not totally sure if it'll work at an angle like you pictured, but that's the correct feature for making that sliding-type joint.
    Arul Suresh
    lemon1324 said:
    @mbartlett21 yeah, I don't imagine that part would be too bad, since most of it uses booleans anyway.  It's mostly that I haven't done any sheet metal scripting yet, and there's a lot of refactoring from opBoolean to booleanBodies that would need to happen.  I'm sure sheetMetalTab would be helpful as well, but depending on how sketch-tab-pattern compares to the current primitive-pattern-boolean, that might mean a performance hit.
    @lemon1324

Maybe you could have something at the start of the feature that detects whether the parts are sheet metal or not.
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • sjalifesjalife Member, Developers Posts: 24 PRO
    Hello, @lemon1324

I use your Laser Joint FS a bit, but I am a bit frustrated it doesn't work on actual sheetmetal parts.

Could  you update it for that?
    How can I help??
    We do have some experience with FS.

• jose_luis301jose_luis301 Member Posts: 2
    I tried to use the script but have error when set Corner Overcut, the overcut are too big, and when i modfy the size, nothing happends :/
    @jose_luis301
    As with anything on the Onshape forums, we can't really help unless you share a document that illustrates the problem.

If you could make a minimal example that demonstrates the problem and share the public link to that document, I'll take a look.
    Arul Suresh