Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Importing files.

chand_bashachand_basha Member Posts: 63 EDU
Hi, 
     I have been trying to import some data(.step) into On shape. But it showing errors like "Invalid or corrupt input file" and "Your import of DS20 00 00.STEP does not match any import history from the current window. I have tried out both the ways of importing. Please let me know how to import this properly.

Answers

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    You shouldn't have to do anything else than Import -> Select file -> Select import options -> Done. Step file appears to one tab and converted model creates needed tabs.

Maybe there's some problem with the step file? Have you tried any other files?
    //rami
  • Options
    HakroHakro Member Posts: 67 ✭✭✭
    Did you try to open your STEP file with a free STEP viewer?

Programs I use to view STEP format:
    - eDrawings Viewer (www.edrawingsviewer.com)
    - Solid Edge Free2D+Viewer (www.plm.automation.siemens.com)
      https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Blog/Solid-Edge-2D-Drafting-now-views-3D-files/ba-p/430549
    - STP Viewer (www.stpviewer.com)

• Options
    chand_bashachand_basha Member Posts: 63 EDU
    Hi, 3dcad
                     I have imported step files previously with out any issue. But now I am facing problem, And Unfortunately I have my required file in STEP format only.

Will file size makes difference in importing ?

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    We need to know if it's an Onshape problem or a problem with the step file, this is why @hakro has asked you to open it in other applications, if they all show it's bad then the problem is not with Onshape, if they open it just fine then you can raise a support ticket for OS to find the problem...

Owen S
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @chand_basha - That error message is typically only displayed if you 'refresh' the browser tab while the translation is still in progress.
    Nothing bad has happened and the translation will continue. 
    One of the many benefits of Onshape is that an action (such as importing), does not tie up your machine resources, you simply carry on working.
    A request to import/export is spun off as a separate (asynchronous) task. The state of the task can be seen in the 'notifications' drop down (the bell).
    When the translation has finished, you will either see the parts/assemblies appear as new elements, or an error log in the same window.

and when completed . . .

Philip Thomas - Onshape