Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Trouble and broken surfaces will reading a STEP files from Onshape

Hello Everyone,

I'm working with onshape for one month now, everything was perfect until today.
One of our manufacturer experienced serious issue with some of my files .
Broken surfaces everywhere (from what they told me). unusable files...

It was a STEP files made in Onshape, not really a complex one...but I'm not really experienced with this software (i'm used to SW)
And they are working with PRO/Engineer 5.0.

Did someone have an idea of what could a have been wrong ?
Is there some particular thing I should do before exporting in STEP ==> PRO/E 5.0?

Thank you! =)

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,377
    Do you have an example you can share? 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Romain_MartiniRomain_Martini Member Posts: 2 PRO
    Hello Neil , here is the files in question.

And here is what i can see . It's supposed to be a complete box , but for now I cant see the main part of it.

• Options
    mthiesmeyermthiesmeyer Onshape Employees Posts: 115
    Hi Fred,

Would it be possible for you to also share the original Onshape document that you exported to create the STEP file? It will make it easier for us to debug if we can get an understanding of the original Onshape model.

Best,

Mike
  • Options
    bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    I've run into this problem too but, in my case, I think the problem was the with the manufacturer, not Onshape.  I sent them several files in various formats but they couldn't use any of them.  Other shops could read the same files with no issues.  I'm not sure why this would be but I suspect this particular shop had an old version of some CAD program.