Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Text in Part Studio - Can it be made visible in a drawing?

AuroraRonAuroraRon Member Posts: 120 PRO

Any suggestions on making text in a part studio show up in a drawing?  Other than make it a new sketch I extrude lets say 0.001" and suppress it when not needed?
May just be my work flow but I think I would find it helpful to have some notes in the sketches and this is one way I can think of doing it. 

Tagged:

Comments

• lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    You can insert sketch into a drawing view
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    I would like to see "sketch notes." Text that can be added to sketches that cannot be used to create 3D geometry. This type of text could be plain lines and arcs with no thickness, unlike the current text tool. Maybe an option when creating text with the current tool that can turn the thickness on and off. If off, the note just sits there as reference and can be imported into drawing views if desired.
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @brian_brady - would you please explain;

1) Why is it important that the text not be eligible to create 3D geometry?
    2) Sketch entities are infinitely thin today - what are you trying to do?

Just trying to understand how to help you :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @AuroraRon -  Ron, you saw in the the reply by Lana that you can insert sketches into drawing views right?
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • AuroraRonAuroraRon Member Posts: 120 PRO
    I can insert a view, I do that all the time to create drawings.   Its the text in a sketch surface I can't show or would like to toggle on and off.  

• brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    @brian_brady - would you please explain;

1) Why is it important that the text not be eligible to create 3D geometry?
    2) Sketch entities are infinitely thin today - what are you trying to do?

Just trying to understand how to help you :)
    Current text characters are all closed shapes (thickness) so they can be extruded. I am thinking if simple text like we already have in drawings that are not closed shapes, just simple lines and arcs. The current comment system is good, but the ability to place notes directly in sketches would be welcome. Plus characters of this type might prove helpful for engraving or etching if sketches are exported. 

Maybe it's just a hair-brained idea. 
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @AuroraRon after placing the view, right click it and select show sketches. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    @brian_brady - Ok now i understand, and yes, you're right.
    It sounds like you are asking for 2 distinct things;

1) A 'Single Line Font' - this is most commonly used (as you say) for engraving .
    2) 3D Annotations - the ability to add annotations to faces, edges and vertices in the part studio or assembly.

In each case, please - create an improvement request (or vote for an existing one). The more people that vote for something, the sooner we do it.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape