Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

UX: Drawing Update Required

Don_Van_ZileDon_Van_Zile Member Posts: 195 PRO

Often when working with a drawing I don't notice it needs to be updated before thinking something is wrong. Then the Oh moment that it simply needs to be updated. There should be a better visual cue to user in my opinion like when switching back to the drawing tab that needs updating.

Add something similar to the list icon and/or the drawing tab so the user immediately knows.

Tagged:

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Don_Van_Zile There are a number of requirements to showing a "dirty" drawing that needs update.  I know this is UX that is not a simple fix and we have some ideas around it.  Thanks for the feedback and we are working on improving this behavior.  You may have instances where the drawing is referencing a version in the same document and you might want to see how many changes have taken place to inform you to save another version and update.  There have been requests for the drawing to aways be at the latest microversion so this button hit is not necessary.  At this point your feedback is heard but we are not going to leave this as a voted on improvement for now.  
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Don_Van_ZileDon_Van_Zile Member Posts: 195 PRO
    edited September 2018
    lougallo said:
     You may have instances where the drawing is referencing a version in the same document and you might want to see how many changes have taken place to inform you to save another version and update. 
    Love that you guys are thinking of visualizing the changes when the drawing updates. I would think that any changes "period" regardless of version, but comparing verision's would be similar to the Model.

lougallo said:
    There have been requests for the drawing to aways be at the latest microversion so this button hit is not necessary.  
    I agree that it would be great if it was not necessary, but only if performance isn't an issue. In other words, if it updates in a second or two it's not a big deal every time I switch to the drawing, but there may be cases when I don't need the changes and don't constantly want to wait even a couple seconds for rebuild every time. I really like the workflow now, but I don't recognize it's dirty right away.
  • BulletEngineeringBulletEngineering Member Posts: 24 PRO
    Ditto the OP that a better visual cue is needed. His suggested icons and placement should work well. This is particularly important since un-updated drawings in versions (which had a pending update when the version was created) tend to have show-stopping errors in my experience.