Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Mirror in assembly

Hi
I'm trying to mirror a part in assembly but can see how. I've tried mirroring in part studio but cant separate it from the original or delete the original
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Best Answers

• Options
    stuart_hatherwaystuart_hatherway Member Posts: 8
    Answer ✓
    Thank you Mike.
    That's worked,I hadn't noticed but as i was selecting the mirror plane the part mirror was jumping from NEW to ADD!. I want both parts but as separate drawings as I need to further modify only one.
    Thanks again

Answers

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited September 2018
    Hi and welcome.

Please have a scan through of this first:-

Af first glance it sounds like you're doing a mirror "add" rather than "new" but it's impossible to help without a little more info.

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    Thank you Owen for coming back to me so quickly. I was using Mirror new selecting the part as entities to mirror and selecting an end face for the plane. I have a part that i have designed and need a separate part that is a mirrored version. If I've read up to date this cant be done at the assembly stage and has to be done in the part studio. Is there a simple way of mirroring the part without keeping the original. If you hadn't guessed I'm new to 3D cad
    Regards Stuart

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Thank you Mike.
    That's worked,I hadn't noticed but as i was selecting the mirror plane the part mirror was jumping from NEW to ADD!. I want both parts but as separate drawings as I need to further modify only one.
    Thanks again
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited September 2018
    @stuart_ward055 I took a stab at it using @mthiesmeyer approach:

I'm doing everything in a part studio:

Here's the assy:

I'm not sure what you're trying to do. I'm wondering if you should be working in a part studio and forget about the assembly for now. 

In OS, parts that relate to one another should be done in a part studio. Part studio = many parts.

In OS, assys allow your parts to move & instancing (bolts should be instanced). Eventually everything will end up in an assy, but at your chassis level, I'd stick to the part studio.

I'm probably wrong......

• Options
    Thank you for your input
  • Options
    ron_thatcherron_thatcher Member Posts: 1
    As with evaluating all new CAD systems, I eventually stumble across a limitation that makes the tool useless in order for me to be efficient, and this is one of them. In the other 2 systems I use.. I use mirror and pattern in assemblies all of the time. I would not be able to do my job without this. See you in a few years On-Shape..
  • Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    ron_thatcher said:
    ... I use mirror and pattern in assemblies all of the time. I would not be able to do my job without this.
    Linear and circular pattern are in assembly In Onshape

Now about Mirror. Yeah it would be more convenient. I’m sure there’s some here in Onshape that would like it in assembly. But in the mean time, you can get to it via In-Context Editing fairly fast

• Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    edited November 2020
    Honestly, in my experience working on some projects in SolidWorks for university, while the assembly mirror feature is nice, there are just so many other assembly workflows that are slower and less efficient that I really prefer working on any assembly in Onshape. Pretty much any speed decrease from not having a mirror command is more than made up for with snapping custom parts with mate connectors and the replicate tool. Assembly mirroring would be nice, but I haven't found a case where it really hurts to not have it.
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev