Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Orientation helper for inferred mates to make them easier to place, especially while zoomed out.

magnus_hammarmagnus_hammar Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
When working with large assemblies with many small parts it is very frustrating to select implicit mates. In order to have two distant points in view I am often quite zoomed out and it becomes very hard to get a implicit mate suggestion in the correct orientation. As it is comparatively very easy to select the intended vertex, all that is needed is a keyboard shortcut to cycle the direction of the primary axis.

This could of course also work for mid line mates, but perhaps not as high priority. Then I imagine the cycle would be [point normal] -> [point plane1] -> [point plane2] 

/Magnus

Comments

• Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    +1
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    I find that adding mate connectors in part studios at specific locations/orientations speeds the assembly process considerably. You just need to get your cursor reasonably close to the mate connector and it is selected versus any other implicit connectors.
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @magnus_hammar Have you tried holding down SHIFT and then placing your cursor over close to what you want and then letting go?  It suppresses the wake up action and allows you to get things close or lock the currently selected face.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.