Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Beams

We are working here in inches. For other beams it shows the sizes in inches, but for round bars and flat bars it shows in mm. Any option if we can change those also in inches,so that selecting size will be easy.

And, also for the beams if I can use 3/16 inches thickness will be great. Because we are using 3/16 thickness. I see 1/8, 1/4 but not 3/16. Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    edited October 2018
    With the latest beam's featurescript you can create your own profiles and use any sketch you want.
    Latest Official Beams: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e15c2c668d138f01242d0c80/w/0664d65a957c7bfba7cfbddd/e/2d5660fc1012df9598f00251

here is my configurable profile library I use It will do key'd shaft and keyways too (just boolean subtract the profile from the part you want to cut your keyway into)

Also does unistrut
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ad05299d8001b55b1928304a/w/e630f3282c5ec90e2d8432c7/e/cf6d2f10fde65a2779a9f8aa

• Options
    michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    Hey @john_mcclary, what are your plans for that document? I think I will use the hell out of it if you plan on developing it or continuing to add sizes and functionality. I would much rather just link to it that to copy my own. I can also help in some way to fill it with more shapes.
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    Feel free to link it.
    I will maintain it and add to it as I come across profiles used in my designs.
    I'll give you write access, btw I am considering splitting some of the unique profiles like channel and unistrut and key shaft into separate part studios. the configs are messy when they are all mashed up in one studio. (I was just doing a quick and dirty test after they updated beams, but then started using it for real) :smile:
  • Options
    @NeilCooke We are trying to create a beams library for sizes and shapes which are not included in your official beams library. I am going to work on adding in some S-beam profiles, but I want to make sure the geometry is as correct as possible.

Do you have a sketch with the proper dimension locations and geometry for an S Beam? Maybe also a resource where you got the measurements from? I have one but if it doesn't closely enough match yours then there won't be true consistency.

I was measuring your S beams and I cant quite figure out how to get the angle of the flange and the flange thickness right.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,371
    @michael_mcclain - I was in the process of creating a full library - I purchased some standard AutoCAD DXF libraries and compared them to the standard profiles provided with SolidWorks and Inventor and they were all slightly different. It was at that point that I conceded defeat - I didn’t want to post something that wasn’t accurate. Seems each manufacturer’s profiles can be slightly different and still be considered within standard?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Hmm I was afraid of that. I figured there would be a variance. Im really just looking to get the proper point to locate on the angled flange to get the flange thickness close enough. For the angle, I was thinking to set it to 10deg which I think is close enough to match common bevel washers.

I found the AISC v15.0 standard shapes library which has all the dimensions in an Excel table. I just need to format the table and input it into the configuration and it will be done. It worked great for W beam.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,371
    I’ll share with you what I already have - can you DM me your email address? @michael_mcclain
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI