Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Does mirrored geometry have fixed constraints?

BogdanBogdan Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited October 2018 in General
I am trying to make a spur gear model, using configuration variables for module, pressure angle and number of teeth. The problem I am facing with is the mirroring of the involute curve in the sketch. If I don't have any mirrored geometry, the sketch regenerates corectly, when I modify the number of teeth, but if I mirror the involute in the sketch, that geometry stays fixed, for a different value for the number of teeth.

Here is the link to the model:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    Have you tried the spur gear featurescript? It may be easier than modelling the gear from scratch. In general, I prefer to use the circular pattern feature vs. the circular pattern inside a sketch. I find it to be easier to control and better with variables

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5742c8cde4b06c68b362d748/v/16a222adf3cb9a3b33ed9536/e/c72760543a0d4412e72f6d38#_ga=2.210257941.1085763189.1540815032-1552844877.1526996123
  • Options
    The featurescript gear is very usefull when you have the gear as an of the shelf part, but if you really want to make a spur gear, you should design it from the equations.
    The question was about the mirror feature, let's stick with that. Not any kind of pattern was the subject of the question asked.
  • Options
    The featurescript gear is very usefull when you have the gear as an of the shelf part, but if you really want to make a spur gear, you should design it from the equations.
    The question was about the mirror feature, let's stick with that. Not any kind of pattern was the subject of the question asked.
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    The problem is in the sketch constraint. May be glitched.

When I set teeth to 21, then delete this constraint and put it back where it belongs, it works.
    I didn't see any horizontal or anything else that limits rotation. but this mate seems to have fixed it once replaced.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4a9b76816517425e9badd681/w/71929366e98828276d17a511/e/f7d438af547bc8de2e0e5b69

and michael was just trying to help. No need to be like that