Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Tab folder delete, UI improvement

tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
I spent a good 5 minutes trying to figure out how to delete a tab folder in on my documents. I had already removed all tabs from within the folder, but I was looking for a "remove" or "delete" option in the RMB menu or in the tab manager flyout. Eventually, I found a forum post explaining that the "unpack" option would delete the folder. I saw the "unpack" command, but I didn't think that would apply to my situation, so I didn't try it. I have two alternative suggestions for an improvement:
  1. Change the "Unpack" option to something like "Unpack and Delete Folder" so that it's function is a little more clear. 
  2. Add a specific "Delete" option. This could be dangerous if there are tabs still in the folder, so there would probably need to be a prompt asking if they want to "unpack" first, or just delete the folder AND its contents.
It looks like I'm not the first person to be confused about this, based on the forum posts I've seen. I think a small UI tweak would help save some confusion for new users. 
Tagged:

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    I vote up this, but i understand why they say "unpack".

Coming from solidworks, the norm is "Delete" when deleting a folder, which will actually "unpack" the folder and spew its contents in it's place.
    At work I see some who are just as confused about that aggressive "delete" word as you are about that passive "unpack" word, and they call me over to see if it's "OK" to delete this object from by project. (Yea, I know it weird, but it does happen because they are not comfortable enough with the software to trust themselves to push that scary delete button on someone else's project)

Once you know the answer it's obvious, but unpack is technically more clear than delete from a "normal operating system" point of view. Delete usually means goodbye forever, and all your children too!

But there are many times I WANT to delete a folder AND it's contents. so multiple options with clarity would be my vote.

I donno... something like...

-Delete folder and contents

then for an Unpack option: {
    -Dissolve folder
    -Delete Folder, Keep contents
    -Unpack Folder (I mean sure... It does describe the action well, but it's probably just out of context without an additional delete option next to it)
    }

But at the same time, I'm not afraid to click a button to see what it does. Thanks infinite undo :) So I can see how Onshape is probably saying to themselves.. "did you try reading all the buttons on the menu?" :) But I say in my head, I want to delete this folder. then I look for words starting with D and end in elete then my brain ignores all those other letters of the alphabet. I mean who spells delete or remove with a "U" amirite?

This also throws back to my old - often mentioned request for icons in menus ;) a trash can and a folder with an outward flow arrow would eliminate a lot of confusion here. jus sayan.
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    @john_mcclary - Agreed! I understand the reasoning for using "unpack". It does what I thought it would do. However, I would never have thought to look for "unpack" when all I wanted to do was delete an empty folder. The functionality is fine, but in the absence of a dedicated "delete folder" option, it just looks like there is no way to delete the thing. 
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    @john_mcclary - Agreed! I understand the reasoning for using "unpack". It does what I thought it would do. However, I would never have thought to look for "unpack" when all I wanted to do was delete an empty folder. The functionality is fine, but in the absence of a dedicated "delete folder" option, it just looks like there is no way to delete the thing. 
    Yea, that.. without all the drunken rambling in between. Thanks for helping me translate that in a couple of short sentences.
  • jason_1jason_1 Member Posts: 24 PRO
    I think the majority of the confusion comes from people not realizing that "unpacking" an empty folder makes it disappear, which is not obvious especially when they're specifically looking for something called "delete."

My compromise would be to have the "unpack" option just say "delete" IFF the folder is empty. The functionality wouldn't change, but it would be more clear.