Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Release Man feedback

owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
edited November 2018 in Product Feedback
Hi folks,

I'm getting to grips with the basics of Release Management and would like to offer some feedback.

(1) It's good, I wish I'd dug in earlier.

(2) The email notifications could be more helpful...

Rev D of what has been released, give me a clue here ;)

(3) Speed.  I'm getting the release emails before my open document is aware that there is a new revision of an assembly available.  I'm sure there is a lot going on under the hood, and it may be unfair to complain, but it's a pain having to wait to use a part that you know is there but your document is blissfully unaware of. (We're talking 30 secs here, so small potatoes but moving from versions to revisions is meant to be an improvement.)

**EDIT, I was being an idiot, I'd released the PS not the Assy.
(4) I made a release of an updated part this morning (RevC to D) and my assembly doesn't know the new one exists.  I may have made a mistake, but I was able to update A to B, and B to C yesterday so I though I had the process nailed.  Not sure if this is me or a bug at this point. I've waited 5 mins, refreshed browser, closed and reopened the tab but still no notification. If I try to update manually via the selective update then it can see A, B and C but not D. (This was used for the email screen-capture above so I know OS performed the release.)

(5) I would like the Instance Tree to indicate the revision Number/Letter here:-

Sorry if that just sounds like a list of moaning, I'm impressed, honestly!

Cheers,
Owen S.
Business Systems and Configuration Controller
HWM-Water Ltd

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,305
    Hi @owen_sparks It does take a little time for a version to be recognised as a revision. I tend to open and close the Versions and History dialog a couple of times until it is recognised. We are aware of this and working towards improving it. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Thanks Neil, appreciate your efforts and your quick reply.
    "Missing Update" now identified as a "Numpty Error".
    I released the PartStudio not the Assembly, so my fault not Onshape's.
    Actually I'll be a bit more critical here than usual.  I'll take 80% of the blame here.  The other 20% I'll throw back on Onshape.  See point (2) above and add in discussions on other threads concerning bland warning messages and either no or "light grey rectangular grey icons for everything" and the user is going to screw up simple tasks.
    Anyway, it's still awsome, it just needs to be slightly more Awesome in a few places.
    Cheers,
    Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • raj_Onshaperaj_Onshape Onshape Employees Posts: 106

Onshape release management can release more that one item at a time.  So it would in general be a list of items that have been released. Are you simply looking for a list of part numbers + revs in the email or something more ?

(3) &(4)  Speed/Update not available.  Could you please open a support ticket with detailed list of steps? There could be a bug lurking around. 

(5) I would like the Instance Tree to indicate the revision Number/Letter here:-
    Please vote for an enhancement request !!
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited November 2018

Onshape release management can release more that one item at a time.  So it would in general be a list of items that have been released. Are you simply looking for a list of part numbers + revs in the email or something more ?

(3) &(4)  Speed/Update not available.  Could you please open a support ticket with detailed list of steps? There could be a bug lurking around. 

Please vote for an enhancement request !!

Thanks for the reply.

RE (2) Emails, good point.  A list would be great.  If it were a single item then I'd love to include a thumbnail of the part or assembly in question, or at least the document thumbnail as well.  I very much like the notification you send when a doc is shared with a user for example.

RE (4) That was my mistake, I was waiting for an assembly update notification that would never arrive as I'd up-revisioned the partstudio not the Assembly.  Sorry.  (3) General speed isn't an issue so please ignore that, I'm happy to take Neil's word that you're working on it.

RE (5) Rev indicator, WILCO.
    *Edit, now HCO.

Thanks again,

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd