Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Creating a part from an imported surface

callum_elliscallum_ellis Member Posts: 11 EDU
Hi everyone,

Hoping someone can help me out - I'm reasonably junior when it comes to surfacing... in fact I am reasonably novice when it comes to anything outside of standard part modelling!

I have 3D scanned a plastic piece I am looking to make some simple rectangle cuts through prior to printing as a prototype.

- Once imported as a STEP the file looks like it needs to which is a good start (Parasolid does not translate properly)

- I can apply a plane to the area I am looking to cut but the cut feature cannot be completed - after researching as much as I could through the tutorials and forum; I am thinking it is because the import is a surface and not a part.

- After attempting to thicken, fill and/or enclose without success I thought it was best to consult the brains trust on the forum.

Does anyone have any ideas or resources that I could look to in order get the outcome I am looking for?

Thank you!
Callum

Answers